Need help with the Dorsey Brothers

neveronfriday

More recommendations, please.

Later material.

I just picked up a cheap used copy of Tommy Dorsey's THE POSTWAR ERA on Bluebird, which covers 1946 to about 1950...and it's very good, loaded with Bill Finegan arrangements. A little more modern than I'd expected the Dorsey band to sound. Alastair Robertson at Hep says he may put out a CD of TD's 1950-53 Decca music as well.

there are Jimmy Dorsey big band recordings, from around 1940-1942 that I've heard on 78s that I don't think have been reissued, and there are some amazing things on them - there's a couple of cuts on which Jimmy sound very pre-bop, and one can instandly understand why Bird admired him so much -

for Tommy, a good place to start are the Sy Oliver arrangements - or anythng with Dave Tough -

there are Jimmy Dorsey big band recordings, from around 1940-1942 that I've heard on 78s that I don't think have been reissued, and there are some amazing things on them - there's a couple of cuts on which Jimmy sound very pre-bop, and one can instandly understand why Bird admired him so much -

for Tommy, a good place to start are the Sy Oliver arrangements - or anythng with Dave Tough -

Yeah, I really wish more of the Jimmy Dorsey band from that period would get re-issued. GRP/Decca's CONTRASTS is pretty much it... I have both Circle CDs as well, which cover 1939-1940.

There's a Bluebird CD of Sy Oliver's arrangements with T. Dorsey that may still float around used, called YES INDEED!

Yeah, I really wish more of the Jimmy Dorsey band from that period would get re-issued. GRP/Decca's CONTRASTS is pretty much it... I have both Circle CDs as well, which cover 1939-1940.

There's a Bluebird CD of Sy Oliver's arrangements with T. Dorsey that may still float around used, called YES INDEED!

Glad to hear some love for TD and JD from you two! Allen, you are so right, anything with Dave Tough is wonderful, their version of Twilight in Turkey is the best, IMO. Ghost, I love the Post War years cd too! I seem to recall mentioning that period of his band, but some didn't like Charlie Shavers sound with it...Ghost, if you have the Jazz Archives cd, listen to Tommy Dorsey's trombone solo on the first take of Who Stole the Lock? amazing 15-20 second solo, he must have been quite drunk at the time!

Any if people have never heard Tommy play the trumpet back in the late 20's, please, please when you can, hear it! It will make you wish he had stuck with it instead of the trombone, and I like his trombone playing! As for JD...someday I will write a long boring thread on him, until then, a short boring post! :tup durn tootin' there ain't near enough Jimmy Dorsey on cd! I had hoped since Classics did his brother, they wouldn't skip Jimmy as too commercial, but so far, no dice. I feel he was an invertebrate improviser, and hope someday he will get his due, and will be thought of as more than merely a good technician. A couple of cds worth checking out if you don't have them is the Complete standard Transcriptions cd from Soundies, which was recorded in the late 40's(Amazing sound quality) and has a nice 20+ minute interview with Jimmy to boot! They play the Finger Bustin' record, which even though one of his most famous tunes, doesn't appear on any cd as far as I can tell!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:yk9ss32la3vg(oh, Amazon does have this cd for sale, $21.98 new, or $4 used!)

Also, Jasmine has a very nice cd with record and live tracks....

Jasmine cd, Stop Look and Listen: The Less Familiar Dorsey

Finally from the el-cheapo label Fabulous, a cd called I got Rhythm, which has almost all the high end cut out, and has many of the tracks from the the Decca cd, but a few I haven't found elsewhere.

"Fabulous" cd

Edited by BERIGAN