Louis and Wingy

Yes, but Universal doesn't own Gennett, etc. I don't think.

Yes, I don't think so either. (But whoever owns it doesn't seem to care much...)

How are Wingy's later recordings for RCA? Worth looking for a few of the Classics?

I like all th Wingy I've heard. . .but that's not necessarily a universal opinion (I remember, perhaps incorrectly?, PD and others not exactly enthralled.)

I'd like to see the fifties work for what are now EMI labels reissued.

THe owners of Gennett do seem to care, they've put out a number of cds, compilations. I ahven't heard them. . . probably should try one.

Hm, are all the labels on Discs 1-3 of the Jacquet in possession of EMI? I wasn't aware of that! I thought that one was one of the sets where indeed they could combine material from various ownerships!

The "majors" changed their policies concerning leases a few years ago to prevent mixing companies masters. The Jacquet predated the change.

Yes, I don't think so either. (But whoever owns it doesn't seem to care much...)

How are Wingy's later recordings for RCA? Worth looking for a few of the Classics?

I like all th Wingy I've heard. . .but that's not necessarily a universal opinion (I remember, perhaps incorrectly?, PD and others not exactly enthralled.)

I'd like to see the fifties work for what are now EMI labels reissued.

THe owners of Gennett do seem to care, they've put out a number of cds, compilations. I ahven't heard them. . . probably should try one.

Hm, I wasn't aware of any Gennett reissues, obviously... but I guess it's the distributors and retailers who are to blame once again.. :rolleyes:

Hm, are all the labels on Discs 1-3 of the Jacquet in possession of EMI? I wasn't aware of that! I thought that one was one of the sets where indeed they could combine material from various ownerships!

The "majors" changed their policies concerning leases a few years ago to prevent mixing companies masters. The Jacquet predated the change.

Hm, I understand - but does the Jacquet contain all EMI other than the RCA-owned disc 4, or was that indeed an early exception?

Some Gennett material may be owned by Universal. Decca acquired some of Gennett's jazz catalog when Gennett folded. And Universal bought Decca.

Interesting Gennett history here:

http://www.starrgennett.org/stories/history/5.htm

"As the year of 1930 went on, and the Depression deepened, the dual effects of the economic collapse and the rise of radio proved too much for most of the surviving independent record labels. A number of them were merged into the American Record Corporation, which eventually would acquire first Brunswick and then Columbia; others, such as Grey Gull and Emerson, disappeared without a trace. Even the massive RCA Victor company gave serious consideration to leaving the record side of their business.

In Richmond, the Gennett firm noted that full-price records weren't selling; as a result, they quit producing Gennett records at the end of 1930, with the last issued record being #7323. However, the label continued the production of the Champion and Superior labels. Champion continued until the end of 1934, with its last issued record being #16832.

At that time Gennett left the popular record business. The Champion name and trademarks, along with some pressing facilities and the rights to some Gennett-recorded material, were sold to the Decca Record Company, who continued the label into 1936. Gennett continued to press and market sound-effect records for radio use until about 1941. In 1943, the use of the Gennett name (and, more importantly during wartime shortages, its shellac allocation!) was sold to Joe Davis and his partner, Oberstein, who pressed records under that name into 1945."

Edited by It Should be You

Hm, I understand - but does the Jacquet contain all EMI other than the RCA-owned disc 4, or was that indeed an early exception?

The set contained Apollo masters from Delmark and Savoys too.

The set contained Apollo masters from Delmark and Savoys too.

Ah yes, now that you mention it! I didn't have it at hand to check myself.

Fantastic set, though!

• 14 years later...

OK, a little revisit of an oldie but goodie. This probably could not matter less, but I just picked up this set on eBay, and I'm positive there's a mistake in the discography. "I'm Shooting High" and "I've Got My Fingers Crossed" on disc 2 (tracks 10 and 12) are credited to Louis Prima and His New Orleans Gang, but that is absolutely Wingy singing. The discography states that Brunswick logs confirm the personnel, but it's clearly Wingy's voice and not Louis' (just listen to the other tracks on that disc). What's more, the booklet notes that these two songs, specifically, were also recorded by Wingy. Am I missing something or just crazy?