Earl Hines on Frog Records

Jason Drake

Ted Kendall also did a fantastic job on the 1944-45 Artie Shaw Victor series--issued in full on the Hep 3-Cd set Artie Shaw and His Orchestra Hep CD 70.

As for the remastering by J.R.T. on the Frog issue of Earl Hines, it will astound those who own the (few) previous editions. The restoration of the Victors from 1929 is nothing short of miraculous. The 1932-33 Brunswicks were less well recorded in the first place, but the result is astonishing there too. I regard the two Hines albums (Frog DGF 55 and Hep CD 1003) as truly indispensable.

Edited by FrancoisD

Do these two albums have many vocals?

There are some vocals, but most are handled by jazz-sounding singers : Hines himself on "Everybody Loves My Baby"(2/13/29) and "Have You Ever Felt That Way?" (2/14/29), Walter Fuller, a trumpeter-singer much influenced by Louis Armstrong, on "Oh You Sweet Thing", "I Love You Because I Love You" (7/14/32), "Rosetta" (2/13/32), plus Valaida Snow's only pre-war American recording : "Maybe I'm To Blame". Except for two quite indifferent vocals by William Franklin on "Sweet Ella May" and "Good Little, Bad Little You", the rest of the performances on these two albums are purely instrumental.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...