Chu Berry

Lazaro Vega

As a leader, no. At least according to the Chronological Classics which is said to contains all his dates as a leader.

In the liner notes of Coleman Hawkins and Chu Berry: Tenor Giants, a Commodore reissue, Francis Davis refers to Billie Holiday's book in which she recounts Chu Berry battling Lester. Perhaps this is what Mike is referring to. According to the notes, most musicians felt that Chu bested Lester that evening.

There is, of course, the Lionel Hampton sessions where Chu is heard with Hawkins, Ben and Benny Carter, and that jam with Charlie Ventura on the Classics CD from 41 (?) is said to be from a club or concert -- but I was wondering if some Jazz Archives LP or some off small label had the session Feather was referring to. Anyone hear that long jam session with Pres, Hawk and Illinois Jacquet on Jazz Archive, I think the lp issue of "Jammin' the Blues" (not looking, but I think that's what it was on)?

Right, I was just coming on to say I'd just heard where they both solo on this 1939 recording of "Lady Be Good," where the band has arranged "showband" parts, especially that ending, and it is played faster than the classic small band record from 1936. Berry hops in like Lester with three notes and then goes into a speedy Hawkins inspired unbroken stream of a solo. Pres comes on and is just amazing. Both Berry and Collins alluded to a wide interval in the melody during their solos, but Pres just jumps on that (between 1.42 and 1.49), widens the idea through his use of rhythm, and it sounds like a message from the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I was just coming on to say I'd just heard where they both solo on this 1939 recording of "Lady Be Good," where the band has arranged "showband" parts, especially that ending, and it is played faster than the classic small band record from 1936. Berry hops in like Lester with three notes and then goes into a speedy Hawkins inspired unbroken stream of a solo. Pres comes on and is just amazing. Both Berry and Collins alluded to a wide interval in the melody during their solos, but Pres just jumps on that (between 1.42 and 1.49), widens the idea through his use of rhythm, and it sounds like a message from the future.

blue lake,

yes, right as you said: a message from the future! Probably one of the first free jazz bars or solos ever.