What non-music magazines do you subscribe to??

(Before it imploded in '91/92 I enjoyed Spy Magazine, but their brand of humor seems to have found a home in The Daily Show.)

It was terrific when it was in its prime. I saved a number of them. I remember a bit this (whatever year it was written) being the new Middle Ages that was spot on.

Another Economist subscriber, along with National Geographic, Gourmet & Sports Illustrated.

I live just a couple of blocks away from the library, so I read a bunch there such as Saveur, Harper's, and Mojo on the cheap.

I subsribe to a bunch of science-related mags--Seed, MIT Technology Review, Scietific American. I like MIT the best, for what reason I don't know.

We were getting Wired at the station for a while -- I liked it pretty well

I always go for the Economist trial subscriptions when I can -- it's a bit pricey for my wallet, but incomparable international coverage.

I've been a longtime subscriber to the Atlantic, which I like a lot. The late editor was beginning to wreak havoc on it, but now we seem to be in limbo. The guy who bought it and installed the editor who died in Iraq (name forgotten) may well have an agenda to turn the Atlantic into yet another conservative "selective analysis" magazine, which was where it seemed to be going in 02/03.

I second the New York Review recommendation. I got my local library to subscribe by arguing we cannot claim to be a civilized place without it. It is a bit predictable and disingenuous sometimes, but there's always a letter writer to point it out for you.

--eric

Spy, if I'm not mistaken, was done by the same guys that brought us National Lampoon, which was truly mad magazine for big kids in its prime. Why do all of the great humor magazines have to die such long horrible deaths?

Spy was created by Vanity Fair's Graydon Carter and Kurt Anderson, now host of a sweet radio show Studio 360.