1930's Duke Columbia recs?

paul secor

Can anyone recommend (or not) the remastering on any of the following:

Columbia C2K 46177 - The Okeh Ellington 1927-30

Columbia C2K 46995 - The Duke's Men Vol. 1

Columbia C2K 48835 - The Duke's Men Vol. 2

I have some of this material on other lps and cds and am wondering how the sound is on these.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Get the material however you can. The Columbia sets have very decent notes, something Classics and Neatworks definitely DON'T. And I don't think the Classics and Neatworks better sonicwise by much either. The Columbias are from real source material, though scrubbed a little too clean. The others are from collectors 78s, of pretty decent quality.

It's amazing music though and be sure to get it.

I've been holding off on going the Classics/Neatwork route in the hope that Sony or Mosaic or someone puts together a decent and comprehensive box.

Meanwhile, I'll cast one more vote for the Columbias with their better notes.

Edited by Roger Hiles

I only have the three Columbia volumes, so I don't know how the other versions fare, but I love these sets. This is amazing music.

I'm kicking myself because I held off picking up the old RCA Blanton Webster cd set because I heard the remastering was bad. Now I hear the remastering on the new version is even worse. Aaaargh!

I don't know what to do.

IF it is true as I've read that the remastering on the new Blanton-Webster set is identical to that of the RCA Complete box set, then it is NOT worse than the first Blanton-Webster set by any means. It may have its faults, but it's better than the earlier set by far by my ears.

Well, yes, it's a necessary thing. If I were hesitant to call a body of jazz work "essential" (and I get more and more hesitant to do so as time goes by) I still would call this body of work "Essential Ellington." Amazing material!

Hey AfricaBrass,

Like you, I was anxiously awaiting a reissue of the Blanton-Webster band material. With the bad sound on the old set and the high price of the Centennial set, I was just hoping that they would re-release it. But when the new reissue came out, I heard all kinds of mixed opinions on it. So I just decided to go out and get it, and I'm really, really glad I did! I had never heard most of this material before, and I must say it is great. I guess I don't have anything to compare it to, but the sound seems fine to me. True, a few of the tracks have some distortion in the upper register, but I don't think that this can be eliminated without comprimising the overall sound. The majority of the set is quite listenable IMO. I have been listening to my copy quite frequently since I bought it a few weeks ago.

Here's a link to a review of it at AAJ: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/reviews/r0503_154.htm

If you do get it, let us know what you think!

If you do this, you miss the band from 1931 to 1940. Not a little bit of the history.

You're a good salesman, Chuck - at least you made me think about this. I'll be picking up the Classics and Neatworks cds bit by bit and be able to hear the 30's Ellington recordings I don't already have and hear them now. Who knows when or if Sony will allow Mosaic to do an Ellington box?

Guest Mnytime

When my fiancée was still working for Sony Music she told me that they where talking about putting out a box for both Duke and Basie. For whatever reason it never got past the discussion stage.