Woody Herman - THE RAVEN SPEAKS

JSngry

I done went and boughten me a used ellapee copy and the dang-gum ol' sucker ain't got none listed. It's a poromo copy and they's not lsited on the jallaket. It ain't thet gret a rekkird, but what the hayul? I'd likes to knoe, thankya kindly.

Kenyahepme?

As allus, thankee in ed's pants.

I just finished reading Gene Lees' Herman bio... anybody ever hear Woody's 1960s album of Al Jolson songs?! It came out on Columbia, possibly under the title of SONNY BOY. A DJ friend of mine actually has a copy, though with a different title... supposedly the band he had on that record was smokin'. According to Lees, Woody had a burning desire to do a Jolson tribute album, mystifying Lees & others around him, and this is the only LP that features that particular edition of the band.

The early 1950s "Mars" recordings sound interesting, too--some of them, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Unearthed a couple more of these for you, Jim.

Summer of '42 arr. by Alan Broadbent

It's Too Late arr. by Bill Stapleton

And Ghost, I think that the Jolson side ("The Jazz Swinger") is very much worth finding. Sure, there are a few corny moments, as there are on most Woody sides, but the recklessly swinging Herd as always makes up for any silliness. :tup

BTW, Woody was still doing the Sonny Boy chart in the 80s. An excellent swinging chart! And it had a bone solo! :g

Edited by Free For All