whats up with the late 70s/early 80s and looking

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

its not just YES's GOING FOR THE ONE. i just saw this elo lp from '80 and they are all looking up at skycrapers too. what is up with the late 70s and looking up at buildings? is it supposed to represent moving into the ultra-modern era?? and if so how come they knew it was comming so fast? i dont understand. there MUST be some explination here that i am too young to grasp. can any of you older people help me out with understanding this?

It was the era of Close Encounters & Star Wars. It was kinda "in the air", no pun intended.

This reminds me of album covers such as Queen's News of the World. Which, to me, at the time, looked way too much like C-3PO. It was the Star Wars era, indeed.

B000000OAC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

In fact, this is a copy of an old Frank Kelly Freas cover for Astounding dating from the fifties. The only difference is that members of the band are painted in.

Edited by BruceH

I always liked this looking up at buildings late 60s sleeve.

26090-0-300-0-300.jpg

As far as I can tell the pterodactyls are naked though not looking up (those of you with 8 year old children might like to check with them if they are pterodactyls or some more obscure form of flying dinosaur).

Never heard the record. Just recall being fascinated by it on the inner sleeve of Harvest LPs in the early 70s.

Sorry.

Just checked. It came out in 1970. Though I'd imagine it was recorded and the cover designed in 1969.

Here's the full gatefold:

qlpslv.jpg

And here's a website...

http://home-1.worldonline.nl/~mollyb/docs/quatermass/

A website for a band that made one virtually unknown LP!

Edited by Bev Stapleton