Going to Los Angeles

BERIGAN

Where are the best brothels...no wait, best cd stores for a jazz fan???? I was last out that way in 1998, and was drooling over all the stuff at the tower outlet on...on...hell, don't remember it was 6 years ago, Sunset? It was near the regular Tower and book outlet. All the outlet stores are gone, right?

So, advice??? TIA! :)

Edited by BERIGAN

I agree wholeheartly. Amoeba is THE BOMB! It is within walking distance of L.A.'s main jazz club, Catalina's, by the way. (To find anything in L.A. within walking distance of somewhere else that you want to go to is rare indeed).

Also, Used all:

Record Wharehouse on Pico two miles east or so of the Bundy exit from the 405 freeway. Small but fairly good seleciton.

There are three used Record Stores within about 7 miles or so of each other on Venutra Blvd. in Studio City--Heavy Rotation, Second Spin and one more. Fairly good selection, especially at Heavy Rotation.

Rhino Records on Westwood Blvd. in Westwood, a few blocks on the right north of Pico Blvd. Since they moved to their new location from up the street the quality and quantity of jazz discs has sharply declined.

Aarons on Highland near the corner of Santa Monica Blvd. in West L.A. Good selection. They have a good separate section of free/avant garde jazz. Hard-to-find stuff.

And there's a store in Silver Lake that I forgot the name of.

In Belmont Shore on 2nd St. near Long Beach there is Fingerprints. Very good selection. Fairly large number of choices.

Best bets: Amoeba's (the biggest used CD store in the U.S.) the used jazz section is larger than many stores new jazz section ; Aaron's and Fingerprints and maybe the three stores on Venura Blvd.

Amoeba's is by far the best, though. Don't miss it. The others less important. If you have time (and money) for only one store, make it Amobea. It's on Sunset at Cahuenga Blvd.

A few yrs. ago a used Tower outlet opened in the middle of Hollywood Blvd. a little west of Gruman's Chinese and the new Kodak Theater. I haven't been there in years though. There are no more outlet stores in L.A. to my knowledge.

Edited by Jazzdude

Hey Berigan,

Don't go looking for that Tower Outlet store (was on Hollywood Blvd.)... it's been gone a few years now. Amoeba is definitely the place to go, as is Aron's (on Highland Ave., just north of Santa Monica Blvd.).

But if you see an OOP Mosaic lying around, LEAVE IT FOR US LOCALS! Finding them here doesn't happen nearly as often as I thought it would!

Cheers,

Shane

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I am really going out to LA for the service of my cousin who died of Cancer. :( My Mom isn't able to travel(When Mom found out she had Cancer last year, her Niece didn't even know she herself had a very rare form of Kidney Cancer, seemed to be in good health-doctors had been treating her for Kidney stones for years :angry: ) so I am going in her place. Thought that even though it seemed a bit strange to make this a vacation, since I was paying to fly 3000 miles, might as well do try to do something pleasant as well. I'll try to leave any Mosaics behind, though if I find the Charlie Ventura/Flip Phillips set, all bets are off! ^_^

Edited by BERIGAN

When you're done cd shopping, you might wanna pop by that martini & steak joint that Mule says he frequently hangs at (Musso & ?) and launch into your best 'Hey cousin Mule, great to see ya again....thanks for inviting me to dine!!' routine...........and don't forget to wear a 'Newt' t-shirt. If you shoot him a quick wink & promise not to talk politics w/his pals, I'm betting you'll get a nice dinner out of it. Don't go cheap on the wine....have 'cousin' Mule spring for the '98 Harlan Estate Cabernet. Either that....or it's time to start talking up 'Drudge'. :g

When you're done cd shopping, you might wanna pop by that martini & steak joint that Mule says he frequently hangs at (Musso & ?) and launch into your best 'Hey cousin Mule, great to see ya again....thanks for inviting me to dine!!' routine...........and don't forget to wear a 'Newt' t-shirt. If you shoot him a quick wink & promise not to talk politics w/his pals, I'm betting you'll get a nice dinner out of it. Don't go cheap on the wine....have 'cousin' Mule spring for the '98 Harlan Estate Cabernet. Either that....or it's time to start talking up 'Drudge'. :g

:g

Forget Hamburger Hamlet.

[sheesh]

For a real hamburger experience, travel on over to Tommy's World Famous Hamburgers on Beverly and Rampart.

Order a Double with chilli and the works [a thick slice of tomato, pickles, onions and cheese] and don't forget the 'little big hots' chillies on the counter in the jar. Get it with fries and a drink...you won't be sorry :g

Oh, and have plenty of napkins on hand...you'll need them. Trust me.

la.gif

Edited by GoodSpeak

I actually prefer Carney's to Tommy's. The yellow train car on Sunset east of Tower Records.

If you head into Burbank, you may want to check out Atomic Records on Magnolia just west of Hollywood Way.

Edited by Noj

Not likely to wear a Newt shirt...now a Reagan shirt.... :):tup