Jorge Ben

Late

Lately, I've been spinning this album a lot.

ben_jorge~~_sambaesqu_101b.jpg

Not jazz, of course, but very catchy stuff at times, and with jazz-like references from the horn section. Recorded in 1963. I feel like I should have known about this guy a lot earlier!

Have you checked out Ben's music? (Apparently his last name is now Benjor.) What do you think?

Didn't Rod Stewert steal the melody for "If You Think I'm Sexy" from the Jorge Ben/ Gilberto Gil record?

BTW, if you're digging Ben, see if you can track down the first Gil record. It was recently available as a mid-price Japanese reissue. It's a bit of a different trip from that Ben record you're listening to (more aggressive), but people tend to like one if they like the other.

Jan, I did read that Ben's melody was indeed plagiarzed by Rod Stewart. And ... that Ben sued and won the legal case! Ben is also the composer of "Mas Que Nada," a tune popularized by Sergio Mendes and Tamba Trio. I'll have to look into that album you mention.

Lon, I think you'd dig this one, especially if you're into Brazilian work from this time period. Dusty Groove is carrying quite a bit of Ben material from the 60's right now. One of the pros of this album (besides the fine music) is its (to my ears, etc.) fine remastering. The originally recording must have been quite good. Make that excellent, because this remaster sings through the speakers. The one con of the album (if you could call it that) is its short playing time — 28 minutes. Still, with 12 tunes, it seems long enough.

Ben voice's takes just a little getting used to. He's a tenor (or at least I'd call him one), and so the range is a little higher than I expected. He also has a very fine falsetto, which he uses to fine effect on a number of tunes. The vocals, for lack of a better description, are somewhat "raw," but certainly packed with emotion. I wish I knew Portugese!

Hi!

guys, i need to get into this conversation :g

Jorge Ben (or Benjor nowadays) is one of my beloved heroes!!

i should recommend his last album "MTV Unplugged" also on DVD!!

marvellous music where he reunites his former band "Admiral Jorge V" to play some old tunes and his actual band for the hits. he plays acoustic guitar for the first time since 1975 on this one.

this album "Samba Esquema Novo" is a landmark on brazilian music and it has been recently reissued here as many others from Ben before he switched to electric guitar.

i´m really happy that Ben´s music still touches people around the world

Salve Simpatia!

Marcus Oliveira

just a quick note:

effectively Jorge won the claim and donated the money to charitative institutions.

Rod Stewart was here in Rio in 1978 and listened to a tremendous hit from Jorge "Taj Mahal" and flt in love with the chorus and then we know the rest...

Salve Jorge!

Marcus Oliveira