What's happening in your area?

Free For All

Gotta work Friday nite, but might catch the last song or two of Horizon. I thought Essiet Essiet was on bass; do you have better info from Bobby?

Definitely going to Haynes on Friday. Gerald D. says it's the same band as on the most recent album: Marcus Strickland on sax, Martin Bejerano on piano and John Sullivan on bass. We'll see about that.

Gotta work Friday nite, but might catch the last song or two of Horizon. I thought Essiet Essiet was on bass; do you have better info from Bobby?

Definitely going to Haynes on Friday. Gerald D. says it's the same band as on the most recent album: Marcus Strickland on sax, Martin Bejerano on piano and John Sullivan on bass. We'll see about that.

Bobby said Curtis Lundy was coming. Also, Terrell won't be coming as he has to attend his grandfather's funeral. Bummer.

Probably can't make any of the KC events. I've got dress-rehearsals with the KC Symphony on Thursday and Friday evenings until after 10pm (way down at JCCC), so I'm out of the game both nights.

Maybe could make Saturdaynight , but I know I'm busy all day that day with a couple other things (including another rehearsal), so I'm "iffy" about being able to get down The Gem that night. Wish I could, though.

If either of you guys see Gerald while you're down there, you know what to do. ;)

Some good news here. The Portsmouth (Hampshire UK) Jazz Society is up and running concerts again after being mostly moribund for ten years. We've got three concerts booked this year, Stan Tracey Quartet, Howard Alden and Dave Cliff Quartet and Scott Hamilton's Quartet.

Portsmouth isn't known for being big on jazz but we have a small arts grant which should cover any losses. If all goes well and we break even then there will be more next year. If there are any board members in the south of England who want to come along pm for details.

I've spent a long time listening to jazz and I'm very happy to be able to help put something back into the music. Wish us luck chaps.

Edited by JohnS

Heard Horizon Saturday night- Victor Lewis, Ed Simon, Curtis Lundy (subbing for Essiet Essiet) and of course Bobby. They sounded great as expected- mostly material from the new CD. These guys really seem like they're having a ball when they play, and they have played together enough that there's a real sense of a "shared consciousness" between them, esp. Bobby and Victor.

The group came out to a local club last Thursday and I got the opportunity to sit in with them on a couple tunes. :g:g:g:g:g

Sometimes you play with a non-responsive rhythm section- it feels like you might as well be playing with an Aebersold play-along. With these guys, however, they listen so hard- it's like a car where you just tap the accelerator and it goes!! They respond to everything you do right away, especially Victor Lewis, so you better choose your "words" carefully!

Definitely addictive.

This not a whine, just an observation. But the thing is, I'm not a record collector. I buy few CDs anymore, mainly because they are grossly overpriced and I honestly don't have time to listen to what I have. Something has to knock my shoes off before I buy it. Very often, I will see someone live and be so moved by the performance, I will buy whatever they were playing if it is availalbe on CD. It's very disappointing if the material they played hasn't been recorded.

Anyway, I wish there was a place for folks like me who attend live performances more than they buy records to rattle on at great length and get into conversations with folks about who we saw and what we did or didn't like about it. My comments about live performance in a thread about an artist's recordings are ususally out of place.

Carry on.

Its a good time to be a jazz fan in Chicago. The Jazz Showcase, one of the best rooms in the world, has a stellar lineup from now to the end of the year. McCoy Tyner, Dave Holland, Pharoah Sanders, Danillo Perez, David Sanchez, Louis Hayes, Rufus Reid, Gary Burton, Roy Hargrove and others are booked for week-long gigs. For the first time in a while, I'll be spending more on live music than on CDs. Probably a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news here. The Portsmouth (Hampshire UK) Jazz Society is up and running concerts again after being mostly moribund for ten years. We've got three concerts booked this year, Stan Tracey Quartet, Howard Alden and Dave Cliff Quartet and Scott Hamilton's Quartet.

Portsmouth isn't known for being big on jazz but we have a small arts grant which should cover any losses. If all goes well and we break even then there will be more next year. If there are any board members in the south of England who want to come along pm for details.

I've spent a long time listening to jazz and I'm very happy to be able to help put something back into the music. Wish us luck chaps.

Just got back from the Stan Tracey perfomance - a great evening with some terrific contributions from Clark Tracey & Don Weller also.

Thanks for putting in the effort John.

The very best of luck with these concerts, John. Just wish I lived a bit closer to the Pompey area to be able to check them out, the Stan T. in particular..

Thanks for the appreciation Gary.

It was a great evening but we'll need a some hard work and some good fortune to carry on. Be nice if you could make it Bob but I know it's a long trip. Thanks for your best wishes.

Edited by JohnS

WHAT WE LIVE WITH TURKISH IMPROVISING VOCALIST SAADAT TURKOZ

October 12, UICA, 41 Sheldon Blvd. Grand Rapids, MI

Enjoy luscious Turkish mezze and wines before an evening of improvised music with What We Live, the collective trio from California, and special guest vocalist, Saadet Turköz, Tuesday, October 12. The reception is at 6:30 PM, and the concert is at 8 PM.

The three-person musical collective features Lisle Ellis, bass; Larry Ochs, saxophones; and Donald Robinson, drums and percussion. The daughter of Kazakh refugees, Saadet Turköz grew up with the rich oral and musical traditions of the highlands of Central Asia. When she was 20 she moved to Switzerland where she experienced the new world of music: free jazz, improvisation and experimentation.

Tickets are $35 for the general public and $30 for members.

(Tickets for just the concert can be purchased for $10 for members and $14 for the general public.)

Sponsored in part by the Turkish American Cultural Association of Michigan, Pro Helvetia fondation suisse pour la culture and Days Inn Downtown.

www.uica.org