LF: LP jackets for 'progressive' BN 60's dates...

I don't have a specific date (or dates), that I'm looking for. (Or at least not yet -- maybe I'll get such a list together and post it here.)

BUT, I have been giving some thought to trying to find some LP's (or just the jackets, actually -- even if the vinyl is missing), for some of my very favorite BN dates from the 60's, particularly the late 60s. (I'm wanting to display them, probably frame them -- probably for the walls of the staircase going from the first floor of our house, to the 2nd --- something like that.)

Wouldn't mind some Andrew Hill, of course (probably any of the Reid Miles designs of Hill covers, "Black Fire" in particular). And maybe some Larry Young. (I'll drop some more names into this thread later.)

I'll have to look through one of the complete BN covers web-sites, and pick out some specific titles I'd like to find.

But, more to my main question...

Were any, many, or most of the more 'progressive' dates (which I assume didn't sell nearly as well as the more 'mainstream'/'straight-ahead' dates), were any/many/most of them reissued as Liberty LP pressings, or as pressings in the 70's???

Since I'm only really in need of the jackets (though I'm not adverse to getting the vinyl too, as long as I'm not paying a mint for it), I'd be more than happy to put up with non-original LP issues of these titles. (Assuming, of course, that the covers of the reissues (later pressings) look decent enough.)

For instance, I already have a Liberty-era LP (maybe even 70's issue - how can I tell??) of Sam Rivers "Fuschia Swing Song", which will work quite nicely. I also have an original Tyrone Washington "Natural Essence" LP, with vinyl that's seen better days (but the jacket's in good shape).

Were Andrew Hill's dates reissued much over the years on vinyl?? (Or I guess I'm really asking if there were many additional pressings, particularly after the start of the Liberty era.) How about any of Larry Young's last four sessions. (I know, Mother Ship didn't have a good cover, so I guess I mean the 3 of the four last sessions with interesting covers.)

Thanks!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I've seen a copy of 'Andrew !!!' in the blue/white UA release from the early 70s, some of the other Hills sometimes crop up in the blue label mid-70s version, although I don't see them often. Don't recall seeing 'Black Fire' in anything other than NY USA but there must be a whole bundle of blue label copies around. I've certainly got old import BN availability lists for the UK from 1975/76, the vintage of the 'Blue' period, with most of the titles you are interested in there listed.

How about some of the 1980s DMM issues? - very useful for the cover art if not for the sound quality ( ;) ). 'Fuschia', 'Lifetime', 'Spring' and 'Evolution' were all part of the French releases. In fact the option of using my old DMMs in the manner you suggest did cross my mind more than once !

Another option is to get hold of vinyl Conns for 'Judgement', 'Basra', 'Smokestack' etc. but again they can also be hard to come by, although the $ hit is a lot less than NY USA.

Good luck ! :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

I suppose one way to do it would be to keep checkin EBAY, looking for those copies where the seller is honest enough (that's the hard part <_< ) to state that the disc is in poor shape, has noise, skips, whatever. Or, check for DMM and/or digital copies. These tend to go for fairly low prices as demand is poor.

Another way is to go to:

Blue Note and other jazz cover images

I'm not computer tech guy at all, but I would think you could download these images and then use a photoshop or some other image program to enlarge the image to pciture frame size. Maybe some of the more tech savvy guys on this Board can give you the How-to on that.

Could you be specific on the covers you want?

There are some vinyl reissues of popular titles out now for about $10.

Japanese and Classic Records have titles around with very nice covers.

Most of the Hill dates came out on Liberty and should be around.

Larry Young, forget it, unless there are later than Liberty reissues, as Liberty's are originals for two or three.

Edited by wolff

That site that Leeway posted is a great way for you folks out there with Blue Note Mosaics, like the Lee Morgan, Blue Mitchell, Elvin Jones etc. Now you can download all the covers to the albums in the box sets and store them with your Mosaic books. Not including the album covers is about the only knock ive heard about Mosaic and now you can take care of that problem, at least on the BN's

Im not sure, but i think he has about the whole BN catolog from the 10'ers on, including the famous LT series and the Japanese only issues.

I almost forgot, thanks for posting that Leeway, i downloaded a few covers myself for cdr's i have that only had b&w covers.

Edited by Bill Fenohr

I [...] downloaded a few covers myself for cdr's i have that only had b&w covers.

those are just big enough for CD booklet sized print outs. Anything bigger no look good no. It looks like a complete series there, only Evolution is missing AFAIK.

If you really only want to frame these, I'd opt either for the Cover art books (the large sized, earlier printing), or would try to get decent scans to have printed by some photo lab.

I do not think many late sixties titles got the 70's or later reissue treatment.

Liberty's are originals and they seem to go gor $20+ on Ebay.

Four Men With Beards may have recently reissued one or two BN late sixties titles on vinyl.

As usual, your best bet is Ebay.

A few years ago I made 5 very nice frames(I was doing framing has a hobby) for LP covers. Most are triple matted and fairly deep, so there is some nice depth.

Once a year or so I change covers. The high gloss laminated covers look really great framed.

couw,

I think you misunderstood me, i was not suggesting that Rooster Ties download these images for his project. I just meant that downloading the covers would make a nice addition to Mosaic sets.

no, I understood that. Someone else in this thread suggested to take these and frame them. Sorry for the mix up.