A Question For You Musicians

Dan Gould

Because his membership in the Teamsters union won't allow that.

Mike

touche'

A small gesture done for all the right reasons never hurts. Sometimes the little things you do to support your fellow musicians off the bandstand, translate into something special on the bandstand. Lugging a bass drum or a bag of cymbals every now and then seems like a small price to pay in a effort to build some kind of camaraderie. Besides that, I'm just a nice guy, what can I say? :rolleyes:

I also think it's good to choose who plays first to create the desired effect relevant to the tune- Freddie will most often create a different vibe than Wayne or Curtis, for example.

But listen to how Wayne sets the tone for the subsequent soloists on the tune Free For All (although Blakey takes top honors for creating the initial intensity level!).

Huh. This whole time I thought your screen name came from the Ted Nugent song!

:g

I am a fan of NOT having everyone solo on everything... it's nice to have the occasional feature - maybe a trio tune, or a feature tune that is based around the drummer or bassist. Seems like that was much more common 40 or 50 years ago. The string of solos (with no interludes, backgrounds, etc.) is OK in a jam session but if it's a working band, come on - do some rehearsing and think about variety.

Michael

Amen to that. One reason so many bands are dull or boring is because of the lack of a willingness to rehearse and provide variety, especially "together, close knit, thought out endings." Not on every tune but some of them at least. The audience will know you are a tight band and feel good about paying to see you or giving you that tip money. The audience always remembers the endiing, that's the last thing they hear on any tune.

B-)

Bruce

Edited by BruceW