Joe Cohn

bebopbob

I just heard this brilliant, smooth and swinging NYC based guitarist for the first time at La Belle Epoque in Greenwich Village with Judi Marie Canterino, vocalist and wife of Mike Canterino who owned the legendary Half Note club in New York from the mid 1950s through the mid 1970s.

Joe, the son of of Al Cohn, plays every Monday night from 8 to 11 p.m with Harry Allen, Joel Forbes, and Chuck Riggs at Zuni located near the northeast corner of 43rd Street and 9th Avenue in Manhattan. Great music in a laid back atmosphere - New York's best kept jazz secret IMHO. They've recorded a CD which is for sale at the club which is definately worth getting.

As for Joe on other CDs, grab his 1997 release on Doubletime Records with fellow guitarist Doug Raney entitled "Two Funky People". He can also be heard on Buddy DeFranco's "Mr. Lucky" and "Chip Off the Old Bop" as well as Al Cohn's "Overtones".

An amazing musician worth exploring.

I can't get enough of him - Check him out.

Many thanks to Judi Marie for bringing Joe Cohn to my attention.

Bob

Edited by bebopbob

• 7 years later...

To revive a once dormant thread which at the time received no responses,, I figured perhaps with the passage of time, folks here might have become somewhat more familiar with him. I'm presently listening to his Criss Cross date "Fuego" which sounds pretty darn good. Anyone else out there digging him these days and willing to offer up a few thoughts?

I saw Joe once at Zuni, not sure exactly when but early in that decade; a guitarist friend brought me there. Tight quarters, but we dug the music. I also like Overtones with his old man - it's interesting to compare their two styles.

I find him to be a snooze-inducer.

As an insomniac, I'm always looking for remedies. Must give that a try.

his tone literally gives me a headache.

Another of my ailments. Perhaps throwing Mr Cohn out of my collection would help.