Chicago Fl(a)utist Nicole Mitchell

JSngry

A good friend was nice enough to provide me w/a copy of a live recording by an Ed Wilkerson group that included her, and I must say - I am impressed. A superb command of the instrument and an extension of the Dolphy-Newton lineage of virtustic exploration of "extended techniques".

I see on AMG and on her own website http://www.nicolemitchell.com/index.htm that she's got two albums out (neither of which seem to be easily available at first try), and has been garnering critical praise for a few years now. So I guess I'm late to the table, so to speak. But I want to put the word out, and would very much welcome input, opinions, observations, etc. from anybody who knows her work through live and/or recorded performances.

First impression - this is a MAJOR new voice on the instrument.

I was positive that I had asked about her here before, but I can't find the thread when I search. Check out this review over at One Final Note for some more info.

I think I did also (it was on a Hamid Drake thread I think) after seeing a couple of very positive reviews for the second CD , one of which was in Cadence.