NBA 2004-2005

I thought the last few minutes of the Suns-Spurs game got awfully physical, largely to the benefit of the Suns.  Well, the Suns didn't get swept, but I don't see them taking game 5. 

Let's see if the Pistons can snap out of their funk and win tomorrow.

I think the Suns will win game 5, I don't see them taking game 6 though.

Pistons will win tomorrow.

Guy

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting TV today. past NBA finals teams

Today I am presently watching 1999 Spurs. Funny how they beat a Shaq/Kobe team in the 2nd round.

For those who think a Shaq team is a lock, here is another eye opener. Not only did 1999 and 2004 Lakers get beat (Shaq/Kobe) but the Orlando Magic got swept in the Finals (Shaq/Penny).

Yeah, lots of shame losing to Jordan's Bulls in their prime. Shaq had barely been in the league a few seasons. Taking the Magic to the Finals firmly established the Diesel as a new premier force in the NBA.

Yeah, lots of shame losing to Jordan's Bulls in their prime.  Shaq had barely been in the league a few seasons.  Taking the Magic to the Finals firmly established the Diesel as a new premier force in the NBA.

I don't think that's what Bruce meant -- he's just trying to point out that having Shaq on your team, even in his prime, was not a guaranteed championship. Or even guaranteed success in the playoffs (making it out of the 2nd round).

Guy

Yeah, lots of shame losing to Jordan's Bulls in their prime.  Shaq had barely been in the league a few seasons.  Taking the Magic to the Finals firmly established the Diesel as a new premier force in the NBA.

I don't think that's what Bruce meant -- he's just trying to point out that having Shaq on your team, even in his prime, was not a guaranteed championship. Or even guaranteed success in the playoffs (making it out of the 2nd round).

Guy

Right :excl:

Bruce

I would bet ten pastamakers that Detroit would beat them in 5 or maybe 6 games.

The Suns have been lucky enough to match up against teams that dont play good defense up until the Spurs. And we saw what the Spurs did to them.

The Suns are still a joke and complete pretenders, like the Kings and the Mavs have been all these years.

They would have had alot more trouble in the East where we still play defense. The bulls coulda taken them to 7 and maybe even win.

Just to prove to you that the Pistons can beat the suns, check back when they beat the Spurs.

I would bet ten pastamakers that Detroit would beat them in 5 or maybe 6 games.

The Suns have been lucky enough to match up against teams that dont play good defense up until the Spurs.  And we saw what the Spurs did to them.

The Grizzlies were known as a good defensive team -- 6th best in the NBA in defensive efficiency. The Suns ran all over them. The Spurs are unusual because they're a good team at the Suns' type of game. There aren't many other teams in the NBA that can do that -- probably none.

The Suns are still a joke and complete pretenders, like the Kings and the Mavs have been all these years.

I think all 3 of these teams teams would consistently make the conference finals if not the finals if they were in the east. (The Kings, not anymore, but 2 or 3 years ago.) The western conference has been much, much more challenging in the past five or six years, and at their best they've consistently gotten more wins than the #2 teams in the east (and occasionally the #1) while facing much tougher opposition.

They would have had alot more trouble in the East where we still play defense.  The bulls coulda taken them to 7 and maybe even win.

????

This eastern conference had 3 (if you include the Pacers with Artest), maybe 4 teams (Bulls borderline) that could have made the playoffs in the western conference.

The Bulls lost to the Suns by an average of 19 points/game this season.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Man, The Suns are a joke.  How did they get this far?  Do they know what "defense" is?

Hey dude, they're still the 2nd best team in the NBA. Neither Miami nor Detroit could beat them in a 7 game series.

Guy

I do not agree. Either the Pistons or the Heat would kill the Suns. They do not play defense and they have no solution for teams that play defense against them. They would be lucky to win one game against either team.

Man, The Suns are a joke.  How did they get this far?  Do they know what "defense" is?

Hey dude, they're still the 2nd best team in the NBA. Neither Miami nor Detroit could beat them in a 7 game series.

Guy

I do not agree. Either the Pistons or the Heat would kill the Suns. They do not play defense and they have no solution for teams that play defense against them. They would be lucky to win one game against either team.

They handily beat the Grizzlies, a defense-oriented team (one that many people predicted would give the Suns headaches). The Heat and the Pistons are better than the Grizzlies, not nearly as good as the Spurs. Hence I think the Suns would probably beat either team.

Guy

In order to be successful, the Suns need to force turnovers. The Spurs take care of the ball, forcing the Suns to play the half court game. No fast breaks, no quick buckets for the Suns.

Hypothetically, I would pick the Pistons and Heat over the Suns.

In order to be successful, the Suns need to force turnovers.  The Spurs take care of the ball, forcing the Suns to play the half court game.  No fast breaks, no quick buckets for the Suns.

But let's not exaggerate how stymied the Suns' offense was -- it's relative to their usual production. They still averaged 104 ppg in this series. Detroit was something like 6-12 (33% winning percentage) this season when their opponent scored 100 pts.

Guy

But Guy, in Suns' victories over lesser teams they were blowing them out by 20+ and scoring 130. I'm sure the margin of victory over elite teams was not as large. I'm betting that stat is misleading.

That the Pistons were 6-12 when allowing 100+ means they only allowed 100+ in 18 games...

But Guy, in Suns' victories over lesser teams they were blowing them out by 20+ and scoring 130.  I'm sure the margin of victory over elite teams was not as large.  I'm betting that stat is misleading. 

That the Pistons were 6-12 when allowing 100+ means they only allowed 100+ in 18 games...

No, that was 104 ppg against an elite defensive team (the Spurs) during the playoffs. You'd have to assume that either the Pistons would be much more effective than the Spurs against the Suns' offense, or that the Pistons would suddenly become an offensive juggernaut.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Hey, how about this.....

Until they are beaten......

the Detroit Pistons are the champs.... :g

:cool:

All this conjecture, my my my :excl:

It is great to see all this faith in everybody's team but faith is greatly made up of denial of reality.

:crazy:

Edited by BruceW

Scoring 104ppg and losing tends to take some of the luster off the number.

Non sequitur.

To convince me that the Pistons could beat the Suns, you'd have to argue that

(1) The Pistons, unlike the Spurs, could hold the Suns to under 100 ppg

or

(2) The Pistons could suddenly become an offensive juggernaut that could outscore the Suns at their own game.

Which of these do you think is realistic?

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger