Ornette played at REM Concert.

medjuck

I just got back from an REM concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl. The music played before the concert (which I think is usually selected by the performers) was a nice eclectic mix including Tom Waits and Ornette Coleman! Shit, I remember when you could get people to leave the room by playing an Ornette record.

how was r.e.m.?

we have tickets for the theatre show here in cincy.

the place only seats about 2800.

they have not played this venue since 1986.

did they mix old and new pretty well.

we last saw them on the mini up tour and they didn't go any further back than "losing my religion."

i'd like to see "south central rain" or "driver 8."

I thought they were great. To be honest I'm not that familiar with their work. They mixed old and new: went back to something Stipes claimed he wrote when he was 19. It was a great sound mix: I could actually hear the words.

Stipes is a much more dynamic performer than I thought he would be.

The Greek

Begin the Begin

Animal

So Fast So Numb

Boy in the Well

World Leader Pretend

Leaving New York

The One I Love

Electrolite

Aftermath

Cuyahoga

Final Straw

Bad Day

Around the Sun

She Just Wants to Be

Imitation of Life

Losing My Religion

Walk Unafraid

Life and How to Live It

Encore:

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Country Feedback

Welcome to the Occupation

Permanent Vacation

I'm Gonna DJ

Man on the Moon

"Permanent Vacation" was written before Murmur. I thought the big surprise was they didn't end the show with "It's the End of the World as We Know It" as they've been in a rut with that for quite some time. I believe they started doing "Life And How To Live It" on a regular basis toward the end of their last tour so that may stay in the end of set spot. Otherwise the few other I.R.S. era songs seem to be switched out with other old songs, depending on mood.

How cool that they're doing "Life and How to Live It"! I've been listening to that song a lot lately--always been a favorite. Going to see them in Indpls. next week. Saw them on the Fables, Pageant, and Document tours--the IRS years were IMO easily their best.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the thread title. And "Permanent Vacation" shows up on some live bootlegs from the early 1980s.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 5 years later...

Drove up to Indpls today to see my dad and other family for Father's Day and listened to this for the second time after buying it last year:

REM-Live-at-the-Olympia.jpg

Excellent live double-CD, taken from some Dublin shows they did in 2007 while preparing to record ACCELERATE. Lots of interesting material drawn from the I.R.S. years ("Letter Never Sent" and "Second Guessing" off RECKONING, "Disturbance at the Heron House" from DOCUMENT, "1,000,000" off CHRONIC TOWN, "Maps and Legends" off FABLES) that they hadn't played live in a long time...and the energy on the record's just great. Listening to it (and the studio CD that resulted from this period, ACCELERATE) rekindled the kind of intense enthusiasm I felt for them in the 1980s.

Drove up to Indpls today to see my dad and other family for Father's Day and listened to this for the second time after buying it last year:

REM-Live-at-the-Olympia.jpg

Excellent live double-CD, taken from some Dublin shows they did in 2007 while preparing to record ACCELERATE. Lots of interesting material drawn from the I.R.S. years ("Letter Never Sent" and "Second Guessing" off RECKONING, "Disturbance at the Heron House" from DOCUMENT, "1,000,000" off CHRONIC TOWN, "Maps and Legends" off FABLES) that they hadn't played live in a long time...and the energy on the record's just great. Listening to it (and the studio CD that resulted from this period, ACCELERATE) rekindled the kind of intense enthusiasm I felt for them in the 1980s.

That IS a good album. I saw them twice in '08 which definitely "rekindled the kind of intense enthusiasm I felt for them in the 1980s", too. They're such a solid, close-knit outfit and always seem to be enjoying what they do.

I also realized that overall they are a much better live experience than many of their albums (especially mid-period).