Ivana Santilli

mikeweil

I was under the same spell as you mike and sampled her stuff somewhere after seeing the cover on DGA. I cut it short after one cut... all I needed to hear & that she has no boogaloo in her. And as far as Canadian popsters go ... who's her competition? :g

Then again this opinion comes from someone who was recently all steamed up about rachelle farrell :huh: I lernt my lesson ... talk about singing to make herself heard... ugh ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well ..... spinning her first disc now. A nice voice, typical blue-eyed soul. What annoys me a little is the use of drum machines on most tracks - the whole disc is a collabrorative effort between herself on voices, trumpet (not too spectatcular), keyboards etc. and Oliver Johnson, who plays keyboards, programs etc. I'd like to hear hear with a real band. Imagine a black singer and all the background tracks still would fit. Nice but do not expect too much. OTOH I like her straightahead singing style better than the over-sophisticated-Sarah-Vaughan-goes-soul outings of Rachelle Ferrell or Anita Baker ..... Give her time.

I hoped for a voice that would move me as much as Laura Nyro. She should check her out.