elvin jones "live at the lighthouse"

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

dustygroove has the 2 volumes of this set for about $40 bucks. it s TOCJ or JVRG i guess...

i didn't get the mosaic since i have a lot of the jones stuff on CD already.

is the lighthouse material worth 40 bucks?

i am aprehensive of a grossman/liebman front line...

i am aprehensive of a grossman/liebman front line...

Well, it's pretty much their show, so...

But are you apprehensive because you're conversant w/their bag (or what was their bag back then), or just because of what you think it might be? If it's the former, then you could probably stay away safely, but if it's the latter, I don't know. I'm not into that bag too much myself, but the Lighthouse date is one that I enjoy anyway.

Not much help, is it...

I have both the old US CDs as well as the Mosaic, both remastered by Ron McMaster. The overall sound quality isn't all that great so I doubt that RVG can do a whole lot with these masters.

Of all the material in the Mosaic, these live dates are usually what I play most often. Very good playing by all.

Is it worth $40 for the JRVG? Well, as I was once told by a reissue producer many years ago, "If you want it, buy it, because you never know when you'll see it again. But if you don't buy it, don't worry... it'll get reissued."

Later,

Kevin

I have both the old US CDs as well as the Mosaic, both remastered by Ron McMaster.

Wasn't it Malcolm Addey who did the original transfers to CD? According to this post in another thread he was involved.

Well I'll be... you are right... Malcolm Addey is listed on the original BN CDs. Well, I know for a fact that when I got the Mosaic I had someone swap the old BN CDs into my system for a blind comparison and no one in the room could tell a bit of difference.

Now that I think of it, I seem to recall Michael Cuscuna saying that he didn't remaster these live dates for the Mosaic... I think he said they just pullled the old CD master off the shelf and made Mosaic CDs with it. I'll have to check that.

Later,

Kevin

Now there's a good subject for a whole 'nother thread - "From SOME SHAPES TO COME to WAY OUT EAST - What Happened?"

Yeah, and that recording with "Graciela"- what was that one? Since he kind of morphed into Sonny I haven't been quite as interested, although he does the Sonny bit really well.

Also Bob Berg is another one who changed quite a bit. Listen to him on the Silver'n'Brass, etc. sides and compare that to his later stuff. I kinda liked the old sound myself.

I think that I'll pick it up too.

A friend who bought the Elvin Jones Mosaic set told me that that Lighthouse material was his some of his favorite stuff on that set. I have a vague recollection of hearing it when it came out on LP and digging it, but there were competing purchases at the time...