Rock On with Zep...

tonym

What is your favourite Led Zep album?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Mnytime

Here is another site I just discovered that has something interesting

This site if you go down to the 1980 dates you will see a ticket stub similiar to your's. Same date as yours but they still show the dates for 1980 they same as everyone else. With June 17th as the start of the 1980 tour with no actual listing for anything in May even though they have a ticket stub saying May 31, 1980.

http://www.led-zeppelin.com/LZitin73-80.html

Copy of their ticket stub for that date

Manheim80.gif

Edited by Mnytime

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! I hadn’t considered that possibility. Don’t remember such a thing, but that was 23 years ago when my brain cell-negligent activities were at their zenith. Crap, no resolution yet.

Er, I see you’ve posted again. Well, it must hav ben postpond until jUne. thakns fro the fun stroll donw brain damged memory lane,

Edited by kartoffel·hadi blues

Guest Mnytime

Happy I could be of service. ;)

Actually I am going to email a couple of these sites to see if they have an explanation. If I don't get a response I guess I could always go to the horses mouth so to speak. Though it would be a really silly reason to call.

Guest Mnytime

If I don't get a response I guess I could always go to the horses mouth so to speak.  Though it would be a really silly reason to call.

It might be quicker if I were to ask you who you don't know in the rock world. ;)

A great many people actually. :D

Guest Mnytime

Na, they actually mellowed in that aspect since the Peter Grant days. Now they only give you a slight beating instead of the usual breaking of body parts. ;)

Actually for the DVD they even got some footage of the band from some bootlegers. Of course they had to be careful how they did it considering the groups rep in dealing with bootlegers from the past. They actually paid to use the footage.

Grant might have been a thug at heart but he took care of the band and made sure they got every penny they could. Before Grant and Zeppelin it used to be promoters would get 90% of the gate and musicians 10%. Grant changed that so the group was the one getting the 90%.

It's not like anyone in the band needs the money with these releases. Unlike most of the other big name bands they split everything equally 4 ways even the publishing. All the songs had all four names on them as it really should be. So there was never any disharmony over one member getting more than another or being allowed one or two songs per record like with Ringo and Harrison with the Beatles.

Edited by Mnytime

How ironic. I didn’t have any desire to see the new Zep DVD before this thread, but now I think I’ll have to take a look. Still not sure about the CDs though. It’s a dangerous question but, is How the West Was Won an improvement over The Song Remains the Same?

Guest Mnytime

How ironic. I didn’t have any desire to see the new Zep DVD before this thread, but now I think I’ll have to take a look. Still not sure about the CDs though. It’s a dangerous question but, is How the West Was Won an improvement over The Song Remains the Same?

Your kiddng me right? The Song Remains The Same is not in the same Universe as this. The only thing comparable would be The BBC Sessions release and this still blows that away and that is essential. IMHO

As I said the two 1972 shows they used for this are considered the absolute best live shows from what is considered maybe their best tour playing wise.

You will not regret getting either the DVD or CD release.

The Song Remains the Same concert at Madison Garden really was one of their worst shows from that tour. About the most interesting thing to happen during their stay in NY was the $250,000 in cash that disappeared out a Hotel vault.

Guest Mnytime

All the songs had all four names on them as it really should be.

:blink:

You may want to check those song writing credits again.

Your correct. What I was trying to say that for the majority of their biggest hits. Not that they really released singles, but you get the point.

Edited by Mnytime

The Song Remains the Same concert at Madison Garden really was one of their worst shows from that tour. About the most interesting thing to happen during their stay in NY was the $250,000 in cash that disappeared out a Hotel vault.

So, then, how in the world did those show(s?) end up being the ONLY concert footage of Zep ever released up until these DVD's came out?????? :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Guest Mnytime

Up until that time that footage was the only real attempt at filming them live. They didn't really like the performance they gave, which is why they sat on it for 3 years. But with all the delays caused by Plant breaking his ankle and leg in a car crash in Aug. '75. As well as not having toured since May 1975 which for them was a very long time they figured it would be a way their fans could see them live until they could tour. Even though they had released Presence seven months earlier in March 1976. Their next tour once again because of Plant's leg was not until April of 77. So it was a hold the fans over release. Grant called it "the most expensive home movie ever made".

Now the story behind these new releases is basically that Page heard that the silent film footage from the Royal Albert Hall performance was going to be sold. Up until than he had assumed they owned the rights to that footage. He talked to the other three and and Bonham's kids and they bought the footage. Than he went into his studio vaults and found the audio and listened to it and really liked what he heard. Once again talking to the rest of the band and Bonham's kids they decided to put out all the live video performance. While looking in the his vaults he came across the LA Forum and Long Beach shows from 1972. They figured they would put those out as well.

Page hasn't listened to any of the live tapes since the death of Bonham. He has every show they ever performed from about 1970 until the last one. The first time he listened to any of the live stuff was for the BBC Sessions release. Up until now I don't think he even had them in any particular orderly fashion. They where just stored there. A lot of back up stuff was stolen from his house which is how many sound board stuff is out on bootleg now.

As I said before there is still some more footage but the condition of the film or the matching audio tracks are so bad it was impossible to do anything with them. So this is all there footage wise is unless some major breakthrough occurs in technology. Future live audio releases is another story that depends on many things.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

kartoffel·hadi blues

I just remembered an easy way to tell if they did play on the date of the ticket you have. May 31st was John Bonham's birthday.

Since it was his birthday do you remember anything about them celebrating it on stage at the show you saw, which would have been his last birthday.

They did at the LA Forum show I was at.

He would have been only 55 tomorrow.

I'm quoting this out of the "Modern Rock" thread I started, but my question is probably more appropriately discussed here...

The Black Crowes-When I first heard this band, I was in the middle of a Rolling Stones revival.  Had been digesting the newly released "Singles Collection" box, but when I heard "Jealous Again" on the radio, I thought "Oh, man! What a kick-ass new Stones song!"  When I discovered it was a new band, I raced to the record store to grab "Shake Your Money Maker".  Totally awesome!!!  Shit, they do the Stones better than the Stones do the Stones!  Like their second record too, but they seemed to kinda lose it after that...haven't followed them as closely since.

Has anybody heard this, and how is it???? I heard Page and the Crowes on Conan a few years ago, and thought "damn, that's kinda tasty", but I never followed up with this 2CD set. What's the deal?? Good, bad, or otherwise???

e1921818kv3.jpg

Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes: Live at the Greek

Has anybody heard this, and how is it???? I heard Page and the Crowes on Conan a few years ago, and thought "damn, that's kinda tasty", but I never followed up with this 2CD set. What's the deal?? Good, bad, or otherwise???

e1921818kv3.jpg

Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes: Live at the Greek

It's been a while, but I recall diggin' this set. Sounded like they were having fun, and they followed the studio arrangements pretty close, I think.

Downloaded this back in the Napster heyday, (I've since reformed due to learning from you guys how it's not really cool...) but never really listened that much because, as I'm sure most of you know, a cd from mp3 files without artwork and info is a sorely lacking substitute for the real thing. They just seem so anonymous and impersonal to me, "listening experience"-wise. <_<

I'm a liitle suprised there are not more votes for Led Zep I. This is the one I always go for. I guess it's my personal preference for the blues. I love the heaviness they bring to the blues. I guess that's why I like the first Black Sabbath as well. Both bands are still in their bluesy roots but obviously headed elsewhere.

A couple of my favorite tunes are Traveling Riverside Blues and The Girl I Love Has Long Black Wavy Hair from the BBC Sessions. Again, blues with an edge. How these didn't make their respective albums is a mystery to me. I CAN think of a couple tunes off of Zep II I would replace.

Edited by scottb

I found this:

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2003/200...edzeppelin.html

Here's have they have sold in the USA alone:

Led Zeppelin IV 22x Platinum

Physical Graffiti 15x Platinum

Led Zeppelin II 12 x Platinum

Houses of the Holy 11x Platinum

Led Zeppelin 10x Platinum

Led Zeppelin III 6x Platinum

Led Zeppelin I 6x Platinum

In Through he Out Door 6x Platinum

The Song Remains The Same 4x Platinum

Presence 3x Platinum

Remasters 2x Platinum

BBC Sessions (1997) 2x Platinum

The Complete Studio Recordings 2x Platinum

Coda Platinum

Early Days The Best of Led Zeppelin Vol 1 Platinum

Guest Mnytime

Well 23 years since they broke up Led Zeppelin once again has the #1 record in the U.S. according to Billboard and Soundscan figures. They also have the #1 Music DVD release. Breaking Paul McCartney's Back in the U-S DVD record for a music DVD.

They sold 220,000 of the CD and 150,000 of the DVD in the first week. Not bad when you consider it's live material of well known songs from a band that hasn't been around in a long time.

Metallica's new piece of crap recording will end up #1 for next week though. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a major nose dive after that. I have heard generally negative comments about it.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Yes they only count what is sold and according to The Los Angeles Times and Billboard it was the figures I gave above, which are based on Soundscans figures.

Edited by Mnytime

i'm not disputing soundscans number of units sold, i'm clarifying that they count the number of cd's sold. so that the 220,000 units translates into only 73,000 paying customers. this was how garth brookes planned to outsell the beatles. he repackaged his first 6 releases into a 6 cd box, but it only had a $40+ list price. each box counted as 6 cd's. he also sold his 2 cd live cd for the price of a single cd. he's a tricky little bastard, but the beatles released "1," and now garth will never catch them.