Venus and Eight-Eights

spinlps

Hell, there IS no babes thread!

Damn! We have babies instead.

I don't have any of the vinyl from Venus, but judging from the great sound of their cds the vinyl probably sounds wonderful. I love the Wilen and Shepp titles I have. . . . I have a few others that the music doesn't quite move me as much. . .

You might try a board search for "Venus"- I'm pretty sure there have been a few discussions of the label and/or various releases.

I have enjoyed just about everything I've heard from this label (all CD's, but like Lon said, I imagine their vinyl sounds good too). For some excellent piano trio discs, I'll recommend Eddie Higgins' "Bewitched"; Roland Hanna's "Milano, Paris, New York: Finding John Lewis"; and Bill Charlap's (New York Jazz Trio) "Love You Madly".

In general, I don't like their photo covers. A beautiful woman here and there is a good thing, but they're driving it into the ground (especially all the lingerie, ultra skinny/slick-looking models, etc). Some of them border on the bizarre, IMO. I know Eddie Higgins doesn't care for some of the covers they did for his CD's... kind of a joke (like the photo of a girl playing a harp on the cover of his "Don't Smoke In Bed" CD... WTF??? :wacko: ).

ehig.jpg

I really like the covers...but that's just me.

Venus thread

Harold Mabern Trio: Don't Know Why Venus(Japan) $22 at Cadence

Recoded in 2003.

I was very excited to finally get this. Venus is one of the few labels releasing new jazz recordings on vinyl and I'd heard good things from a fellow poster. My only worry was whether or not I'd like the music, as I have little from their stable of artists.

The packaging and look and feel of the vinyl ooze quality. IMO the Venus covers are the nicest out there, period.

Full, rich, all analog sound(I beleive they spared no expense by recording in both DSD and 30ips tape). Nice hearing a piano that sounds close to actual size!!

It sounds very natural which lets me fully enjoy the music and be amazed by his musicianship. Wow! Nice mix of tempos. Very interesting jazz.

I recommend getting a title or two(about 40 out there, but going fast) and then more if you like them.

Try Cadence for $22 titles..not too bad for Japan imports.

Here some titles from the VENUS catalogue that were recorded in last few and are still available on vinyl.

Beck, Joe "Girl Talk"

Beirach, Richie "Romantic Rhapsody"

Beirach, Richie "No Borders"

Bollani, Stefano "Black And Tan Fantasy"

Bullock, Hiram "Late Night Talk"

Hanna, Roland "Dream"

Hazeltine, David "Senor Blues"

Hazeltine, David "Pearls"

Higgins, Eddie "Bewitched"

Higgins, Eddie "Dear Old Stockholm"

Higgins, Eddie "Dear Old Stockholm Vol.2"

Higgins, Eddie "Foolish Heart Vol.1"

Higgins, Eddie "Foolish Heart Vol.2"

Kuhn, Steve "Sing Me Softly Of The Blues"

Kuhn, Steve "Quiereme Mucho"

Moffett, Charles "Magic Of Love"

Nytrio "Love You Madly"

Wilen, Barney "Inside Nitty Gritty"

Williamson, Claude "Autumn In Ny"

Williamson, Claude "Fiesta"

Woods, Phil "Souvernirs"

For new jazz releases on vinyl, the label Eighty Eight's out of Japan has pressed a few (AFAIK many of these were recorded to DSD(for the SACD's) and 30ips tape(for vinyl) at the same time):

Clark Terry & Max Roach: Friendship

Grady Tate: All Love

The Great Jazz Trio: Autumn Leaves

Eddie Henderson: So What

Roy Haynes: Love Letters

Lonnie Plaxico: Live at Jazz Standard

Will & Rainbow: Harmony

Joe Farnsworth: It's Prime time

The Great Jazz Trio: Someday My Prince Will Come

Marlena Shaw: Lookin' For Love

Edited by wolff

Joe Locke and Geoff Keezer have recorded for eighty-eights as "The New Sound Quartet". The record is called "Summer Knows" that has both great originals ( "The King" by Locke is wonderful ) and some reallygreat re-workings of standards such as Keezer's arraingement of" All The Things You Are".

Joe Locke

Edited by marcello

Joe Locke and Geoff Keezer have recorded for eighty-eights as "The New Sound Quartet".

This is one for me to get! I'm a big fan of Keeezer, who had an ongoing inspired musical relationship with Steve Nelson early in his career, and now with Joe Locke - Keezer works extremely well with vibists.