Song X

Green Dolphin

That said, Mob Job is second only to Feet Music as my favorite Ornette song. Violin and all.

It's one of Ornette's best violin solos--which isn't faint praise, I mean it's a really good solo. Not sure about how much I like this disc now but, hey, it does bring back the 1980s if you give it a spin, esp. that tacky Power Station sound.

Not sure about how much I like this disc now but, hey, it does bring back the 1980s if you give it a spin, esp. that tacky Power Station sound.

I got the same 80's feeling when I heard Song X. This is a review I posted on Amazon.com a while back:

Take the Time Tunnel back to the 80's., February 12, 2001

The other reviews on this page do a great job of describing the music on this recording so please read them as well. My own take on this recording is that "Song X" was a great idea with two weak spots. First off, there's one Coleman too many on this recording. With Jack DeJohnette on drums there's no need for a second drummer; Denardo Coleman's synthesized drums sound dated (remember the hexagon-shaped Simmons drums of the 80's?). Both drummers play well but the conflicting rhythms that result don't work as well on these shorter songs as they would on a more extended work like "Free Jazz". Second, Pat Metheny is a wonderful guitarist with many interesting harmonic ideas; unfortunately he filters those ideas through the Synclavier guitar synthesizer and its 'fake sax' setting. Granted, Metheny was Syclavier's highest profile endorser during the 80's but Ornette Coleman has already worked with a real saxophonist, Dewey Redman. Instead of a full-bodied guitar sound like on Metheny's "Question and Answer" there is a thin, brittle guitar accompanied by slightly-delayed fake sax samples. Still, there are a lot of great songs here: "Mob Job" with its tuneful melody and playful accompaniment is one of Coleman's best tunes and performances; Coleman's ballad " Kathelin Gray" is beautiful in its sadness and delicacy. A great recording that could have been more so.

And for those who don't remember the Time Tunnel:

• 3 months later...

Pat granted interviews to some of us media jackals today. So I got a chance to ask him about the Song X reissue.

Six new tracks! Not alternates. Different tunes, he says.

Remastered. "Sounds 100% better," he says.

Yeah!

So what's the new release called - Song X + VI? 6 new songs - I can't wait! :excited:

but he couldn't handle (or understand) Brötzmann.

Hell, I can't even handle (or understand) Brötzmann. :g

I only read this thread out of curiosity, not having heard the album or having had much interest in it, but I gotta tell y'all: this is one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time! Especially Rachel's post about being a Metheniac and the story of the UNT Prof at the Coleman-Metheny gig! :lol::lol::lol:

I dont know this stuff but in the current Jazz Review from England he jokes that it may be called Song XX cos its the 20th anniversary of its release. Actually I have become interested in him for the first time on the basis of this article, he makes astute and interesting comments about horn players and seems very generous when reviewing other guitarists.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a closet Metheniac whose fanaticism was recently revived - I'm all on this in May - love to hear this one for the first time (!)

Also will be watching out for Question and Answer - recently got a PM show off of easytree with Haynes on drums (actually a Haynes show with PM) and that has whetted my appetite for this cd as well.