Nat Hentoff's "American Music Is"

Has anyone else read this? I'm not quite halfway through, but this one has grabbed me like no other book in a long time. Nice, concise, recent (2002-present) essays on people Nat Hentoff has known in jazz (& country & "roots" music, though mostly jazz) since the 1940s or 50s. Some famous, some not so famous. Even though it just came out this year, I've seen it on remainder shelves of Santa Cruz bookstores for $5 or $6 (retail price $16.95). Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Nat's a very smart guy, decent observer of the scene and a very fine writer. I disagree with him at times but read everything I see.

I agree. Hentoff is a fine writer. I do recall initially becoming familiar with him for his writings for Downbeat back in the 1960’s. He and Amiri Baraka (aka LeRoy Jones) were defenders and interpolators of the so called new music. There were intense debates about the validity and purpose of the not always accessible artistic creations of Archie Shepp, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler and Sun Ra. Many people were enraged by racial comments made by Archie Shepp in an Down Beat interview in which he stated his premise about the white man attempting to play the black mans music (jazz). Needless to say, Shepps comments created a firestorm of protest and indignation from white readers. Hentoff and Baraka made valiant efforts to explain Shepps incendiary assessments.

At that time, most of the so called jazz critics were very hostile and not very understanding of so called free jazz along with its political implications. It was very interesting reading Hentoffs commentary that defended these young warriors and practitioners of the advant garde. Hentoff and Baraka were the only two writers at that time (that I recall) who openly embraced this new genre of music.

Over the years, I also learned a lot reading his political and legal articles that are featured in the Village Voice. I have archived a number of Voice articles he has written over the past ten years that covered a variety of subjects. Many of them were very intriguing and informative. I have not always agreed with Hentoff, but I do respect his writing and his unrelenting passion for civil liberties. He is a constitutional law guru and he does make compelling points in many of his arguments and writings. And as expected, you will always have your detractors. At one board, I have seen posters declare that he was a marginal at best writer. I have found such criticism rooted in other personal issues rather that the reality of the Hentoffs writing abilities. Writing is somewhat like sex, music and art –highly subjective and open to individual taste and preference. For me, Hentoff works just fine. B-)