When Dallas Used To Be Fun

JSngry

We moved to Plano (after a year-and-a-half in Tampa) in 1991. Before Tampa, we had lived solely in Dallas and Garland, and my interests were purely urban. So I didn't know about Frisco until the first time I drove 121 and saw the "establishments" in question (and yeah, I was seriously all "WTF?").

Can't tell you about the history or anythng, but I do remember that this was about the time that the whole "Legacy Corridor" was springing up, which of course had a spillover effect, which of course also resulted in a massive "cleanup" of Frisco's more. The cleanup was accomplished with very litlle fanfare, I do remember reading a little something in the Observer or someplace about it, but that was it. I'd like to know more about the "Golden Era" myself, because, yeah, that stip on and just off of 121 was as blatant a strip of cathouses as anything I've ever seen anywhere.

What Frisco's "famous" for now is Stonebriar Mall, that velodrome out in the middle of nowhere, and the Frisco Roughriders, the Rangers' AA team. You'd think that the presence of the latter would at least insure a market for the old goods and services, but if it's there, it's waaaaaay underground.

But Frisco to McKinney is still rural, although it's getting developed, slowly but surely. Plano's built out, and people still want to live north of Dallas, So Allen, Frisco, and The Colony (now THAT'S a wierd-ass place....) are catching the spillover.

And there ain't a good record store in the bunch. A pox on 'em all.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must not have ever come out of my cave during those years. I missed that store.

Besides the weekly Observer ads, they depended mostly on word-of-mouth and plugs on Roger Boykin's show on KKDA-AM (still on, btw, 3-6 PM every Sunday, 730AM on your radio dial. Do NOT miss it, as Roger puts a lot of disperate jazzical strands into "social context", although that's not what he's trying to do :g ). That's how I discovered it, on Roger's show.

Can't believe I never heard of that place. Overshadowed by Bill's Records & Tapes perhaps? When did they close down?

How far back does your DO collection go?

Yeah, ovrshadowed by Bill's, perhaps, but Bill's was (and is) downright CREEPY. Don't get me started...

But K-29 (all the prices ended in 29 cents, btw) had a loyal clientele of its own. They closed in 1993, I think. Landlord hassles of the mos "Dallas" variety. :rolleyes:

The ads aren't mine, btw. Rod e-mailed me a link to them on his personal site.

I must not have ever come out of my cave during those years. I missed that store.

Besides the weekly Observer ads, they depended mostly on word-of-mouth and plugs on Roger Boykin's show on KKDA-AM (still on, btw, 3-6 PM every Sunday, 730AM on your radio dial. Do NOT miss it, as Roger puts a lot of disperate jazzical strands into "social context", although that's not what he's trying to do :g ). That's how I discovered it, on Roger's show.

I had no idea he was still on the radio; I used to listen to him a bit, but it's been a very long while.

Can't believe I never heard of that place. Overshadowed by Bill's Records & Tapes perhaps? When did they close down?

Yeah, ovrshadowed by Bill's, perhaps, but Bill's was (and is) downright CREEPY. Don't get me started...

But K-29 (all the prices ended in 29 cents, btw) had a loyal clientele of its own. They closed in 1993, I think. Landlord hassles of the mos "Dallas" variety. :rolleyes:

The ads aren't mine, btw. Rod e-mailed me a link to them on his personal site.

Creepy was the word on that place. A couple of visits were enough for me.

Collectors Records, on the other hand, was a nice, family-owned store, where I found many outstanding LPs.

“Creepy” doesn’t even BEGIN to describe the place. How about “overpriced scratchy records and other memorabilia?”

As far as our friends go, their son is eleven days younger than our son, but he dwarfs our kid by a few inches. He’s big! But they’ve been best friends since they were crawling! They used to live here in Arlington until the dad bought a printing franchise there in Plano. The funny thing is, he told me as they were looking for a place to live up in that area (he was commuting daily from Arlington to Plano before they moved up there): it was cheaper to build a new house than it was to move into an existing one.

So we’ve kept in touch with them in the years since they’ve moved, and the boys still miss each other, even though they’ve made new friends in their respective neighborhoods & schools.

last time I was in Bill's, and I'm talking 10 years ago, I was there to pick up money for "Flash to Bangtime" cassettes he sold and he made me wait forever. all he was really interested in was flirting with the 14 year old goths of the male persuasion. or is that males of the goth persuasion?

I'm fairly certain the order didnt much matter. not that there's anything wrong with that.

wait a minute...50 year old guy flirting with adolescent boys. maybe there IS something wrong with that...ya think???

Edited by porkerdavis

Those are a lot of fun.  What can you tell us about the store itself?

Actually, the guy who owned/ran it, Rod Stasick, is a member here. I've asked him to drop by this thread and reminisce.

The store was a gas, what can I tell you? If you wanted it, he'd get it. And what he got that you didn't even know you wanted...Plus, it was a great place to just hang out and shoot the bull. All sorts of people dropped in, players, fans, freaks, you name it. Ain't nothing like now, at least not for this type of musical eclecticism.

BTW, Rod's a terrifically talented cat in his own right. Do a Google search and see.

Hell, here's a link! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22rod+stasick%22

Former Dallasite of some 35 years here:

Now happily ensconsed in the PNW since '98 with no thought of ever going back!

I read the whole thread and it gave me the willys ..Dallas has been growing outward like a big chancre on your dick for years ( a spreading fetid ring of urban tackysprawl surrounding a very dead center)

I remember when there were actual jazz clubs were in TOWN ..on Cedar Springs and McKinney, like the Fink Mink, the Recovery Room, the Strictly Tabu on Lemmon ..and down south of downtown the sessions at the Woodsman ..the 651 Club out on Forest Lane ..and Lou Fischers great short lived place on Greenville ..

by the time I finally escaped, what was left of the jazz scene had dwindled to that joint that had a venue out on Beltline and one down in Deep Ellum ( can't recall the name,cuz it was just as I left ..but it finally fucked over the musicians to the point of them boycotting it ..) and a couple joints on lower Greenville ..

but I DO recall the store out in FB ..I bought several Lutoslowski CDs out there! only place in the area that ever heard of him!

Now is filled in all the way out to Frisco? Holy crap ..what a drag ..

BTW: I seem to recall Rod Stasik ..I used to work on some industrial film stuff w/ Jerry Hunt ..and I seem to recall his showing up when we were working on something ..

small whirled

:tdown:tdown

Edited by SGUD missile

by the time I finally escaped, what was left of the jazz scene had dwindled to that joint that had a venue out on Beltline and one down in Deep Ellum ( can't recall the name,cuz it was just as I left ..but it finally fucked over the musicians to the point of them boycotting it ..)

Sambuca's?

The Recovery Room and the Arandas was the one real jazz club I got to know, the latter being a "sometimes" jazz club by the time I got to be old enough to go.

6051 was a sick joke - it sprung up after the demise of The Recovery Room, and was everything its predecessor wasn't - It was being in a rich man's living room "observing" a band play instead of being part of a real scene. To make matters worse, Bill Donelly, who along w/wife Jeanie owned the RR, had to take a bartenders gig at the 6051 in order to pay bills. To see this man who once ran the hippest joint in Dalls now wearing a vest and bow tie and calling people "sir" and serving up drinks that were half as strong for twice the price was heartbreaking, and from the look on his face and the tone of his voice whenever he served one of his club's regulars, as much, if not more, for him than for us.

A lot of places have sprung up sine The Recovery Room, some of them pretty good, actually, but none of them were as organic as The Recovery Room. It WAS jazz.

Now as for Sambucca's. Hey - fuck them. simple as that.

jerry is surfing the solar winds, beckoning ornette...

"come dance, soul of moses. earth is no more. it's lost its shape. take one of my staffs. let's do the doodoo dance. let's do it on the sun and catch a few rays in the sides of our mouths."

ornette hears him. he's thinking about it. he gave his hat to one of my students outside the remains of the caravan a few weeks back. he knows he wont need it on corona beach.

You ain't just whistling Dixie. Think about Dallas in the teens, 20's and 30's of last century: Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie Johnson and Leadbelly playing on street-corners; Robert Johnson recording in a Dallas hotel room; Hot Lips Page, Budd Johnson and Buster Smith roaming around town; T-Bone Walker tearing it up in Oak Cliff...

[sigh.]

Edited by Joe

excuse me, I'm just trying to build up my postings so I can get over this tedious "newbie" branding. nevertheless, I actually Do have something to say...

it IS nice to know dallas had a real scene at one point. along with bonnie and clyde and anonymous alley murders in deep ellum. oh, wait, I guess that's still happening. and famous robert johnson stuff no one had a clue was of historical significance till decades later.

makes ya wonder what's going on right now that will emerge as "significant". will anyone 50 years from now be talking about Quartet Out or some pimpley 17 year old deep ellum rocker wannabe? some nobody who turns out to be an early 21st century legend?

please understand, this isnt addressing the previous post specifically. I'm only asking why is the present always so blind to history? why cant people see what they have today and love it the way they love what happened long ago in the mists of yesterday?