Piano-trio dates NOT lead by the piano player.

Rooster_Ties

I just stumbled across a couple piano trio dates (standard piano/bass/drums config) that I wasn't previously even aware of --- probably because they weren't lead by the piano player. So, it probably stands to reason that there are other similar recordings out there that I'm simply overlooking. The two I just found out about...

e48821rtqzw.jpgd504995a34k.jpg

Robert Hurst w/ Kenny Kirkland and Elvin Jones - "One for Namesake" (Columbia, 1993)

Tony Williams w/ Mulgrew Miller and Ira Coleman - "Young at Heart" (Columbia, 1996)

And another one two I just learned about, but haven't heard (yet)...

c55968d5a06.jpge10537djd71.jpg

Roy Haynes w/ Phineas Newborn and Paul Chambers - We Three (OJC, 1958)

Roy Haynes w/ Danilo Perez and John Patitucci - "The Roy Haynes Trio" (Verve, 1999)

So what else is worth mentioning??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

One of the best known trios of today - Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette - actually first recorded together under Peacock's name on his "Tales Of Another" album on ECM from 1977 - six years before the first Standards record.

A lot of bassists or drummers with big enough names will do this - Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Roy Haynes, Paul Motian, Ron McClure, then there's that Max Roach album with Hasaan and Art Davis that we talked about awhile back.

The real question is whether the "sound" of the group is still coming from the pianist - is the leader-bassist/drummer just the name on the marquee or is he contributing the personality of the band. Would the trio be different if the pianist's name got top billing?

I recently listened to the first James Williams "Magical Trio" album, which has Ray Brown and Art Blakey as sidemen - both of whom are better known as leaders than Williams himself. I still kept feeling that Blakey wasn't acting "deferential" enough.

Mike

...then there's that Max Roach album with Hasaan and Art Davis that we talked about awhile back.

Completely forgot about the Roach/Hasaan record. This one was never got on my radar, for the longest time -- again -- probably cuz the piano player's name wasn't on the spine.

1228213.jpeg

Edited by Rooster_Ties