Recorded on this day ....

Gary

May 5:

1949 - Charlie Parker (with Kenny Dorham, Al Haig, Tommy Potter, Max Roach) record session for Mercury (Passport, Segment)

1954 - Frank Foster (with Benny Powell, Gildo Mahones,Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke) record session for BN (New Faces)

1959 - Pete Brown (with Reginald Ashby, Wally Richardson, Bill Pemberton, Clarence Stroman) record session for Verve (From the Heart)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May 6, 1961:

1961 Dexter Gordon (ts), Freddie Hubbard (tpt), Horace Parlan (pno), George Tucker (b), Al Harewood (dms), I Was Doing Allright 9:16; I Want More 6:09; You’ve Changed 7:26; Society Red 12:20; For Regulars Only 5:43, 6:21; It’s You Or No One 6:12.

doin%20all%20right.gif

May 6:

1924 - The Wolverines Orchestra with Bix Beiderbecke record session for Gennett

1927 - Sippie Williams (with Louis Armstrong) record session for Okeh

1946 - Bill Harris and His New Music (John La Porta, Ralph Burns, Chubby Jackson, etc...) record session for Keynote

1955 - Herbie Nichols and his Trio (Al McKibbon, Art Blakey) record session for BN

1956 - The Max Roach/Clifford Brown Quintet (with Sonny Rollins) at the Basin Street (club Live at Basin Street), released on Ingo and other labels

1947, Kurt Hohenberger und seine Solisten record for Amiga. Hohenberger's band was the first large swing band to be (re-)established in Germany after WW2

1949, Dizzy Gillespie records for RCA

1969, Albert Mangelsdorff and Attila Zoller record for MPS

May 6th. Also recorded on this date:

1964, Stan Getz with Bill Evans plus Ron Carter & Elvin Jones (Verve):

"Night and Day", "But Beautiful", "Funkallero", "Carbetbagger's Theme",

"WNEW Theme Song".

1971, Duke Ellington and Orchestra record "The Blues" (available on

THE PRIVATE DUKE ELLINGTON, VOL. 10: STUDIO SESSIONS 1965, 1966, 1971

- Saja).

May 7th. Recorded on this date:

1956, Elmo Hope leads a sextet that includes John Coltrane, Hank Mobley,

Donald Byrd, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones (Prestige): "Weeja",

"Polka Dots and Moonbeams", "On It", "Avalon".

1958 (5/7 - 5/12), Clark Terry Quartet with Thelonious Monk, Clark Terry,

Sam Jones & Philly Joe Jones record 9 tunes for Jazzland.

1963 (completed 5/8), Horace Silver Quintet with Blue Mitchell,

Junior Cook, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks - SILVER'S SERENADE (Blue Note):

d05481670pa.jpg

1965, Nathan Davis Sextet with Woody Shaw, Jean-Louis Chautemps,

Rene Urtreger, Jimmy Woode & Kenny Clarke record (EPM Musique CD):

"Klook's Theme", "Peace Treaty", "Ruby, My Dear", "Sconsolato",

"Now Let'm Tell Ya", "Kansas City Special".

1977, Archie Shepp Quartet with Albert Dailey, Reggie Workman, Charlie Persip - BALLADS FOR TRANE (Denon):

c4699740ewj.jpg

May 7:

1946 - Sarah Vaughan (with Freddie Webster, Cecil Payne, Bud Powell, etc...) record session for Musicraft

1947 - Babs' Three Bips and a Bop (Babs Gonzales, Tadd Dameron...) record session for BN

1954 - Bill de Arango Quartet (John Williams, Teddy Kotick, Art Mardigan) record session for EmArcy

1956 - Donald Byrd Quartet (Ray Santisi, Doug Watkins, Jimmy Zitano) record session for Transition (Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill)

1964 - Freddie Hubbard (with James Spaulding, Ronnie Matthews, etc...) record session for BN (Breaking Point)

May 8th. Recorded on this date:

1949 (5/8 - 5/15), Miles Davis & Tadd Dameron appear at the

Salle Pleyel in Paris in a quintet with James Moody,

Barney Spielery & Kenny Clarke (Sony).

1957, Horace Silver Quintet with Art Farmer, Hank Mobley,

Teddy Kotick & Louis Hayes - THE STYLINGS OF SILVER (Blue Note):

f44450ux30i.jpg

How do you guys generally go about knowing which album's to post on what date? Do you go through everyone of your cd's to see which ones were recorded on the same day, or is there some secret?  :ph34r:  :g

As for me, just took half a century of interest in jazz.

Then about five minutes each day to add to this great thread... :g

Edited by brownie

May 8:

1941 - Charlie Christian jam session at Minton's (Stompin' at the Savoy)

1942 - Django Reinhardt avec Stan Brenders et son Grand Orchestre record session for Rythme in occupied Brussels

1945 - could not find any jazz record session on that historic day

1947 - Charlie Parker (with Miles Davis, Bud Powell, Tommy Potter, Max Roach) record session for Savoy (Donna Lee, Chasin' the Bird, Buzzy, Cheryl)

1949 - Charlie Parker (with Kenny Dorham, Al Haig, Tommy Potter, Max Roach) first appearance at the Paris Jazz Festival at Salle Pleyel, on various labels

1954 - Fats Sadi Octet (Roger Guerin, Nat Peck, Bobby Jaspar, etc...) record session for Vogue

1951, Lionel Hampton Big Band records for Verve

1962, Sonny Rollins records for his What's New album (RCA Victor)

1966, Yusef Lateef - A Flat, G Flat and C (Impulse!), ctd the next day

1968, Sonny Criss - Sonny's Dream (Birth of the New Cool) (Prestige)

How do you guys generally go about knowing which album's to post on what date? Do you go through everyone of your cd's to see which ones were recorded on the same day, or is there some secret? :ph34r::g

Just speaking for myself, my method is a very inefficient one. I have an extensive LP collection, none of which is catalogued so all that information on each record is not used. However, since I got into CD collecting during the PC era, every time I acquire a CD, I document its contents into a database that includes two fields for the beginning recording date and the final recording date. (If there are several recording dates on the CD, all those in between the beginning and the final one are not retrievable.) I keep a separate subset of this database on an Excel spreadsheet in which the primary sort is by beginning recording date, e.g., 56-09-10, which is Sept 10, 1956. When Sept 10th comes up, I'll do a search on "09-10" which will then yield a number of years (hopefully) from which I'll make a post to the forum. Since, like so many Org subscribers, I now own a couple of thousand CDs and there are a maximum of 366 days in a year, something inevitably turns up. I'm sure you're sorry you asked at this point. B-)

BTW, the database was really constructed not primarily to retrieve dates, rather to do searches of specific musicians, tunes, jazz styles, etc., from which I make terrific personalized CD-Rs for myself and friends if I do say so myself.

May 8, some more:

1956 - Patti Page with Pete Rugolo and his Orchestra record session for EmArcy (In the Land of HiFi)

1957 - Jimmy Smith Trio (Eddie McFadden, Donald Bailey) record session for BN at Manhattan Towers, NYC (Jimmy Smith Plays Pretty Just For You), busy day for Lion and Wolff who recorded Horace Silver's 'The Stylings of Silver) on the same day

1958 - Jimmy Witherspoon with the Teddy Edwards Septet (Gerald Wilson, Hampton Hawes, etc.) record session for World Pacific (Singin' The Blues)

1965 - Carmell Jones (with Jimmy Heath, Barry Harris, etc.) record session for Prestige (Jay Hawk Talk)

May 9:

1949 - George Wallington Septet (Jerry Lloyd, Kai Winding, Brew Moore, Gerry Mulligan, etc.) record session for Savoy

1952 - Miles Davis (with JJ Johnson, Jackie McLean, Gil Coggins, Oscar Pettiford, Kenny Clarke) record session for BN (Young Man With a Horn)

1953 - Charlie Parker (with John Lewis, Curley Russell, Kenny Clarke, Candido) at Birdland, released on Columbia (Summit Meeting at Birdland) and various labels

1954 - Elmo Hope (with Freeman Lee, Frank Foster, Percy Heath, Art Blakey) record session for BN (New Faces New Sounds)

1961 - Dexter Gordon (with Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones) record session for BN (Dexter Calling)

May 9th. Also recorded on this date:

1963 (through 5/10), Charlie Byrd Trio with Keter Betts & Bill Reichenbach perform at the Village Gate (Riverside):

f77110wfiaq.jpg

1966, Sonny Rollins leads a group that includes Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Garrison &

Elvin Jones - EAST BROADWAY RUNDOWN (Impulse):

f19886e412t.jpg

1990, Eddie Harris, Kenny Barron, Cecil McBee & Ben Riley -

THERE WAS A TIME: ECHO OF HARLEM (Enja):

f79628zl9sy.jpg

May 10:

1927 - Louis Armstrong and the Hot Seven record session for Okeh (Alligator Crawl, Potato Head Blues)

1957 - Paul Quinichette (with Curtis Fuller, Sonny Red Kyner, John Jenkins...) record session for Prestige (On the Sunny Side)

1957 - Kenny Burrell/Barry Galbraith quartet record session for Prestige ('Guitar Soul' on Status)

1962 - Pony Poindexter (with Gene Quill, Phil Woods, Dexter Gordon, Billy Mitchell, Pepper Adams, etc..) record session for Epic (Pony's Express)

1981 - Stan Getz Quartet (Lou Levy, Monty Budwig, Victor Lewis) at Keystone Korner, record session for Concord (The Dolphin)

May 10th. Also recorded on this date:

1961, Thelonious Monk Quartet with Charlie Rouse, John Ore

& Frankie Dunlop appear in Bern, Switzerland and perform five

Monk compositions - MONK IN BERN (Magnetic).

1990, John Hicks Trio with Cecil McBee & Elvin Jones - POWER TRIO (Novus).

1999 (thru 5/11), leaderless recording date for Blue Note

featuring Greg Osby, Stefon Harris, Jason Moran, Mark Shim,

Tarus Mateen & Nasheet Waits - NEW DIRECTIONS:

d95360i1co9.jpg