AOTW February 20-26

mikeweil

B00000J89N.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Arabesque Jazz AJ 0144

Jane Ira Bloom, soprano saxophone

Fred Hersch, piano

Mark Dresser, bass

Bobby Previte, drums

Recorded at Acoustic Recording, Brooklyn/New York, on May 29, 1997 & January 2-3, 1999, by Michael Brorby.

Since this may not be in everyone's collection, I thought I'd post my choice early so everybody has a chance to get this in time. There are used copies at Amazon.com from $ 1.80!

Besides her being my favourite voice on the soprano saxophone, I rarely see her discussed over here and thought this original voice should get some attention by this distinguished audience. The above is one of her best albums. Maybe it inspires some of you to check her out, and I'm curious about your opinions on her music - I had planned to include her in my BFT found somehow she didn't fit in there.

Her website can be found at http://www.janeirabloom.com/.

I find the review by Michael G. Nastos on the AMG page gives a good description.

Excellent choice!

I like this CD a lot, but didn't play it lately. This is a perfect excuse to do just so!

Barak I thought you didn't like the soprano! ;)

Who, me??!! :o

Not true! Bechet, Lucky Thompson, Lacy, Zoot, JIB, Trane and others - I like 'em!

Sure, I prefer the Bigger Axe, the Bari, but the smaller axe is fine by me as well...

Particularly liked Hersch in this context.

I thought maybe Hersch's participation might make this even more attractive for some here - Bloom and Hersch have a long standing friendship that resulted in several beautiful albums:

Mighty Lights (1982, enja)

As One (1984, JMT, now on Winter&Winter)

Modern Drama (1987, Columbia, reissued on Koch)

Slalom (1988, Columbia, reissued on Koch)

The Nearness (1995, Arabesque)

The Red Quartets (1999, Arabesque)

Chasing Paint (2002, Arabesque)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just today received the newest Jane Ira Bloom CD. She is the latest to join the ArtistShare world. The album is titled Like Silver, Like Song and features Jamie Saft on keyboards & electronics; Mark Dresser on bass; and Bobby Previte on drums and electronic drums. Have not had a chance to listen yet. The CD also includes an mp3 version of the album (61 minutes).

Her website is www.janeirabloom.com - although I don't see any mention of this album there. The accompanying press release says it's to be released on April 15, 2005.

Mike