How to get rid of jewel boxes?

Vincent, Paris

After much study and $ expenditure I can assure everyone there is no more convenient or practical way to store CDs than the much maligned JEWEL Box. It is compact and easy to file, and has but one draw back - don't drop one on a hard surface. If they would make them out of a more resilient plastic there could be no complaints.

LONG LIVE THE JEWEL BOX

About seven years ago, I put around 1,000 of my CDs in the Case Logic sleeves. Of course, I kept the j-cards safe in a photo-box.

I really tired of this solution within a few months, so I moved my CDs into the Case Logic 150 CD binders. This turned out to be an even bigger mistake. I found I never listened to albums I loved, because it wasn't as convenient as just reaching for a CD and taking it with me.

Those sleeves that hold the j-card also look interesting, but I'd rather just find better storage solutions for jewel case cds.

In the end, I've replaced about 90% of the jewel cases (I disposed of) when I took the CDs out of the binders. I use the binders and sleeves now for CDRs.

In the end, I've replaced about 90% of the jewel cases (I disposed of) when I took the CDs out of the binders. I use the binders and sleeves now for CDRs.

Having been a Dead collector (and other bands) I have a large collection of CD-Rs along with about 1000 "legit" CDs. Still a small fry 'round here. Some of my CD-Rs I've put in cases, and many are in Tyvek sleeves in shoe boxes. The shows in shoeboxes are less likely to get played. Part of the reason is that if a show is a good one I'll put it in a case. The less loved children live in the shoebox.

Regarding the CD-Rs, I never put a one disc show in a regular sized jewel case. I use the slim ones (1/2 the size) and use an adjustable flow liquid paper pen to write on the spine. It must be an adjustable flow - without the adjustable part it won't work. Although writing an "8" or "R" can be tricky, being able to read the spine makes these super slim cases much more useful.

2 or 3 disc shows (if worthy) are put in a normal sized jewel box with a double tray added. I put the 3rd disc in-between a flap that I make for the front cover. I only use quad sized cases for 4 discs, and in a few cases I stick a double tray in so 5 discs fit.

The only altering of commercial releases I've considered is when 2 or 3 disc sets are put in quad cases, such as the 2 disc Monk In Tokyo or Live at the Jazz Workshop, or many 3 disc Dick's Picks. If shelf space reaches a critical point, I'll put them in slimline doubles (which would free up room for another dozen or so. Hmm...) The cover will fit on top of the back so storage or harming it won't be an issue, and I'll still have a spine to read along with the tracklisting on the back. In the meantime I've started wondering if I really need all of these Dead shows (or at least in cases), and started culling unloved "regular" CDs for sale (and shelf space!)

Just as a test, I've taken "coaster" CDR's that aborted during burn attempts, and tried to rough them up a bit (not with sharp metal objects or anything, just tossing them around and using fingernails on them and such), and it's ridiculously hard to scratch them.

The things people do with time on their hands...sheesh! ;)

Dust should do more damage than one's fingernails. Dust is actually quartz (with a hardness of 7 on Moh's scale?) while fingernails can scratch things with a hardness of four or less (roughly going by memory here--someone should check my facts.)

Just as a test, I've taken "coaster" CDR's that aborted during burn attempts, and tried to rough them up a bit (not with sharp metal objects or anything, just tossing them around and using fingernails on them and such), and it's ridiculously hard to scratch them.

The things people do with time on their hands...sheesh! ;)

Dust should do more damage than one's fingernails. Dust is actually quartz (with a hardness of 7 on Moh's scale?) while fingernails can scratch things with a hardness of four or less (roughly going by memory here--someone should check my facts.)

Well, I don't know about the quartz factor, but when I said "tossing them around", that included onto the floor (where there's inevitably going to be some amount of dust particles). I'm just saying that it's difficult to damage a CD (even intentionally, let alone handling them as carefully as I'm sure most of us do), in my exprience. I don't recommend doing these things to CD's just because they're durable (nor making a time-wasting game out of it ;)), but I wonder how many of us have actually tried to damage a(n unwanted) CD intentionally in order to see for ourselves how much abuse they can actually withstand.

• 3 weeks later...