World Sax Quartet and it's members

Alon Marcus

Recently I've discovered this group for myself. The classic lineup had Julius Hemphill, Oliver Lake, David Murray and Hamiet Bluiett. In someplaces they are described as the only group that could play free but still be commercially successful.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about the group. What are their best albums (and also about the solo efforts of its members save for Murray who deserves his own thread or maybe a forum :g ).

I have exactly two albums of which the one I'd recommend is Dances & Ballads, which is very lovely.

If you see Hemphill's 1970s work on vinyl like Dogon AD snap it up. (I have it on a crackly Arista/Freedom LP. Great stuff.) Sackville recently reissued one in a limited edition, I gather it's pretty strong. The only Hemphill I've heard which should be avoided is the Big Band disc on Elektra/Nonesuch, which has about 3 excellent tracks & then about 20 minutes of a dire poetry+jazz thing.

I'm told the posthumous stuff (without Hemphill in the band) shouldn't be overlooked.

I have exactly two albums of which the one I'd recommend is Dances & Ballads, which is very lovely.

Dances & Ballads, was my introduction to the WSQ, and I still consider it to be their finest recording. I've seen Lake, Bluiett, and Murray in concert, but never got to see Julius Hemphill (RIP). Have to recommend Hemphill's Coon Bid'ness (aka Reflections) - a classic of the loft scene genre.

For more Julius Hemphill recommendations, please see The Essential Julius Hemphill list on Amazon.com.

The WSQs recent "Experience" a Hendrix tribute is a nice cd. Bass and drums are added on some of the tracks and there are a couple of guests. Makes for a nice listen if, like me you like all the players involved but find the drum-less groups a bit heavy going.

John Purcell, Arthur Blythe, Eric Person and James Spaulding have also logged time in the WSQ.

Although they remain a fine group, I'm not so keen on their employment of African percussion, et. al. I find it telling that perhaps their finest latter-day recording is the REQUIEM FOR JULIUS. Hemphill was, in a lot of ways, the real guts and intelligence of the group.

And if you're going to own any Hemphill, you simply must own:

e89836zyt6i.jpg

http://www.screwgunrecords.com/records.php...ecord=Blue_Boye

And here's a fine recent record by Oliver Lake that seems to have been unjustly overlooked...

smoli1.jpg

http://www.passinthru.org/catalog.html#stick

Edited by Joe

Alon,

Oliver Lake played in Tel-Aviv (Camelot) 5-6 years ago with a group of local players.

It's a shame I didn't go to the concert. Even if it wasn't that good (and probably it WAS good!) I missed my chance to see Lake live. I'll do my best not to miss Murray and Shepp who are supposed to come in the end of February.

saw/heard the original 4 play sans pa in an acoustically suberb lecture hall at the University of Portland; that was sweet. Interviewed hemphill once; at least I tried to, he didn't want to talk about leaving the WSQ or losing his leg so I was stumped (sic, v. sic but I couldn't help myself). I'm not sure why they keep recording, other than someone being willing to pay them and work's work...