Monk plays Ellington

take5

I feel some sort of elitist standard applied to Monk music. . . .

Strictly personal preference as to what interests me, nothing more. I don't get horribly bothered when somebody makes hamburgers out of tenderloin, they're really nifty, but I'm not interested in pursuing it for myself. Better ways to make hamburgers, better uses for tenderloin (for my tastes) and I shop accordingly.

But I enjoy eating both!

FWIW, Duke’s playing on the Johnny Hodges session that produced all of Back to Back and some of Side by Side is very Monk-ish, if a recent blindfold test I did is any indication. I sent a few people a clip of Duke’s piano solo from “Stompy Jones” and every one that guessed thought it was Monk. So, yeah, the influences definitely went in both directions.

It definitely sucks, especially not being able to down big slugs of cold WHOLE milk!

No big deal, at least so far; I've been discovered to have a fluctuating irregular heartbeat that seems to be puzzling my doctor and now a cardiologist. Spent an awful lot of copay dollars to discover not much so far. Going to have the treadmill stress test Monday.

Edited by jazzbo

Yes Volume Three, as I noted above. I think there may have been other performances unrecorded, it's just a thought. There is that same arrangement with Monk at the piano from Newport and I only have a short tape of that performance, there could have been more. If anyone could do Monk, I think Duke could, but Duke was more interested in getting his music out there for many reasons. I still would like to have heard more interpretations though.

I'm not one of the opinion that very few do Monk right, I feel there have been a number of interesting interpretations of Monk, done "satisfactorily." Waldron. Powell. Harris. Holman. Flanagan. Weston. Many another.

On that private tape of Monk sitting in with Duke's orchestra at Newport, it's startling at the end to hear Duke's reaction to the audience applause at the conclusion of "Monk's Dream". As the audience claps enthusiastically, Duke says, "He'll be back, he'll be back". When the applause apparently doesn't die down to Duke's satisfaction, he repeats "He'll be back" in what sounds like a rather annoyed, disciplinary tone, causing some nervous laughter in the audience. I don't think Duke enjoyed what he perceived to be any upstaging by another jazz artist. Jazzbo, since you have this tape also, give me some confirmation of this if you can.

I have that and I'm not sure I interpreted it that way. . . . It seemed in line with almost all the other stage patter I've heard from Duke, acknowledging the audience's admiration and desire to hear more Monk; I didn't get a vibe of petulance or anything else from it, but . . . videotape would be more definitive. Who's got it> :g