Grant Green

Jazz Kat

are there videos of grant green?

yes, there's one of grant,burrell and barney kessell playing together in europe around 1970 or so I'd guess. It's on Jazz Guitar Masters Vol 1 or 2 (can't remember which one). Just one tune./

do you mean this one:

"Legends of jazz guitar". Volume 2

i can't find anything under "Jazz Guitar Masters"

I love Grant Green's work, as I may have mentioned previously herein. Was I the only one bitterly disappointed that after waiting all these years for Goin' West to finally show up on domestic CD, it didn't include either of the two (?, I'll have to recheck) outtakes?

That's right: Home On the Range & I'm an Old Cowhand (he later redid the latter).

Edited by danasgoodstuff

yes, there's one of grant,burrell and barney kessell playing together in europe around 1970 or so I'd guess. It's on Jazz Guitar Masters Vol 1 or 2 (can't remember which one). Just one tune./

Apparently they played Hammersmith Odeon 'Jazz Expo' in London in 1970 - Grant being a late sub for Tal Farlow. I wonder if this is where the video was recorded?

do you mean this one:

"Legends of jazz guitar". Volume 2

i can't find anything under "Jazz Guitar Masters"

Yes, that's it! (Just looked at mine to make sure). It's really cool to see Grant and Burrell is on fire. Barney Kessell too.

Apparently they played Hammersmith Odeon 'Jazz Expo' in London in 1970 - Grant being a late sub for Tal Farlow. I wonder if this is where the video was recorded?

A couple of things about this...

I received a VHS dub of that a number of years before it was released on DVD. I haven't seen any DVD version yet, but on my copy, they're introduced by Ronnie Scott. I don't know anything about the Hammersmith Odeon 'Jazz Expo', but I always assumed that it was taped in Scott's club.

Once when I was searching for photos of Burrell online, I found a shot of those three guys playing, but they were dressed differently than in my videotape. So, perhaps there's more video (or audio) out there somewhere...

Ronnie may well have introduced the 'Jazz Expo' concert, alternatively it could conceivably have been recorded at the Frith St club. I'll check out the review in my old Jazz Monthly and report back.

I believe Grant was notoriously scared of flying so this excursion to the UK was a rare one for him - his first and possibly only visit.

That performance at the Hammersmith Odeon was in October 1969 (28th, I believe). There was an advert for it in the October Jazz Monthly but this listed Farlow in the lineup so Grant was a very late replacement. The night before, the Clark Boland Big Band were performing so Ronnie Scott was at least there the night before. There's minimal reporting on the concert in subsequent issues of JM and no mention of Grant, unfortunately, so its not clear if Scott was MC at the Jazz Expo.