I didn't know the theme to sanford & son was done

Hardbopjazz

A little bit off topic I suppose, but when visiting relatives at Christmas I was watching S & S when none other than Herb Ellis appears as one of Fred's friends. The closing segment has Fred singing and Ellis accompanying on guitar. Was Redd Foxx a big jazz fan? I know that James Moody dedicates a song to him on the 'James Moody' Argo album.

A little bit off topic I suppose, but when visiting relatives at Christmas I was watching S & S when none other than Herb Ellis appears as one of Fred's friends. The closing segment has Fred singing and Ellis accompanying on guitar. Was Redd Foxx a big jazz fan? I know that James Moody dedicates a song to him on the 'James Moody' Argo album.

Heavy, i don't know. Probaly, the character did. I like the episode where Fred's freeloader friend comes over with his guitar. Fred does a little Louie Armstrong imitating. And Lamont dances to "Cute" at the end.

Another episode, where Lena Horne visits. Funny episode.

• 6 months later...

A little bit off topic I suppose, but when visiting relatives at Christmas I was watching S & S when none other than Herb Ellis appears as one of Fred's friends.  The closing segment has Fred singing and Ellis accompanying on guitar.    Was Redd Foxx a big jazz fan?  I know that James Moody dedicates a song to him on the 'James Moody' Argo album.

My wife & I have been watching the show on TVLand since moving into our new digs, which came with a very affordable cable package... I hadn't watched it since I was a kid, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up. I have a real appreciation now for all of the African-American historical references that Foxx threw in... mentioning the Club Alabam (hot spot on Central Avenue in its heyday), Billy Eckstine, etc., stuff that went right over my head as a child. Not sure whether Foxx was a jazz fan or not, though I wouldn't be surprised... and I'll bet he dug soul. Last night he ended the show singing "It's Your Thing".

Malcolm X mentions Foxx in his autobiography. He was working on the trains when they were both teens and already had a rep for being able to crack people up.