Melvin Sparks interview

Soul Stream

I played with Sparks at a jam session in Bridgeport, Connecituct, early 1990s. I knew some of his playing from records, but what amazed me in person was what a great bebop player he was. He was incredible -

If you ever get your hands on the import only Lonnie Smith CD "Lenox and 7th"...Melvin Sparks is blistering on that...and it's mostly standards...with a mix of a few originals.

He also does some great bebop on those organ sides w/Leon Spencer when they backed up Sonny Stitt and Gene Ammons if memory serves.

You can tell from the interview that he came from a time and place where playing bebop was a required part of the game.

Thanks for posting this, Mike. I didn't realize he was so involved with and aware of the current crowd of funk groups. Have you heard that new album?

I have to catch him for sure next time he comes to G.R.

Yes, Joe the new CD is a good one. Adam Scone plays on a couple of the tracks which turns up the grease level pretty well. :D