Django videos

Joe Carter

Here are some amazing videos of Django. He makes it look so easy, and with two unusable fingers.

http://www.about-django.com/news/videos/videos.php

http://homepage.mac.com/davidahmed/QHCF_web.mov

I must admit, in the past I wasn't too crazy about his playing but, as I've heard more and more, I've come to appreciate his wonderful artistry. What a gift he had for creating great melodies with his solos. Any Django fans out there?

Enjoy!

Joe C.

As I told Joe when he sent me these links, I was amazed to see this much footage of Django and the Hot Club. The first two videos at the top of the page (first link above) are actually a matched pair (the second and shorter one actually was the lead-in to the first (longer) one. Some of the others are pretty interesting as well. At any rate, this was a huge treat. Thanks again Joe. :tup

It also startled me how good the image quality is on "J'attendrai" and "La partie de poker". Amazing.

BTW, I opened each of those in separate windows so I could watch the whole sequence ("La partie de poker" first).

I'd like to know who the musicians are on the "Minor Swing" video (anybody know when that one would date to? late 50's?).

I'd like to know who the musicians are on the "Minor Swing" video (anybody know when that one would date to?  late 50's?).

Jim:

Under the link to click it says:

avec Stéphane Grappelli, Joseph Reinhardt, Henri Crolla, Jarko Jardino, André Ekyan et des inconnus, which, according to altavista.com translates to:

with Stephan Grappelli, Joseph Reinhardt, Henri Crolla, Jarko Jardino, Andre Ekyan and the unknown ones

but I'm curious about the date also. Anyone?

Joe C.

It also startled me how good the image quality is on "J'attendrai" and "La partie de poker". Amazing.

The 'J'Attendrai' sequence which I had never seen was obviously shot when the Quintette du HCF played in London just before the start of WWII. The Quintette did not record the song which was a hit over here in 1938 and became even more popular during the nazi occupation of France. Opening verse was 'J'Attendrai Ton Retour' (I'll Wait For Your Return)...

Thanks Joe for providing the links!

I'd like to know who the musicians are on the "Minor Swing" video (anybody know when that one would date to?  late 50's?).

Django died in 1953.

'Minor Swing' was shot after Django's death. Django is not playing on the film. That's his brother Joseph on the video. Trying to check on the date. I'ld say early '60s (maybe shot for Django's 10th anniversay of his death?)

I'ld say early '60s (maybe shot for Django's 10th anniversay of his death?)

That's a good guess about the 10th anniversary since that quick image of Django pops up at the end.

BTW, I went to the home site:

www.about-django.com

and there's a whole bunch of great things - sheet music, tips on Django's technique with his riffs, a forum, etc.

Joe C.

That 'Minor Swing' sequence is from the 1957 film 'Django Reinhardt' by French film director Paul Paviot. Clarinet player, third from right, might be Hubert Fol, next to him is Andre Ekyan, clarinet player at right might be Maurice Meunier. Looks like him. But could not see a credit for him on this film.

Saw the film at the time of its release. Have never had the chance to have another look at it :(

More Django is available here:

http://www.djangomontreal.com/doc/Movies.htm

Django died in 1953.

I know when Django died. I'd recommend actually watching the videos.

Of course, my apologies for being a know-it-all dunce.

Speaking of Django, what are the best collections of his music to acquire?

I have the Proper box and recently acquired Django in Rome, a JSP box set. Any other suggestions?

I have the Proper box and recently acquired Django in Rome, a JSP box set. Any other suggestions?

Short of getting the Mosaic box, you'ld be OK with the two other JSP Django Reinhardts 'The Classic Early Recordings, vol. 1' and 'Paris and London, 1937-1948, vol. 2'. Remastering on those was done by Ted Kendall who worked from good 78s sources.

The two JSP boxes are more complete than the Mosaic which has the Swing and HMV sides only. The Decca sides are on the JSP boxes.

IMHO dont't miss the late 1940s (early 1950s?) stuff and the recordings on electric - brilliant accomodation to bebop - despite what has been said otherwise -

Funny you should say that, Allen, because when I watched and heard the video of him playing the electric Epiphone I was struck by how modern (meaning 1950s) he sounded.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask if you're the Allen Lowe that was in New Haven for awhile.

IMHO dont't miss the late 1940s (early 1950s?) stuff and the recordings on electric - brilliant accomodation to bebop - despite what has been said otherwise -

It´s curious that Django, being Les Paul´s favorite guitarist, recognized Les Paul as his main influence on electric guitar. I remember reading this in the liner notes for RCA/Bluebird "Djangology" (recorded 1949 and a good example of what you mention, Allen). Will check it.

Short of getting the Mosaic box, you'ld be OK with the two other JSP Django Reinhardts 'The Classic Early Recordings, vol. 1' and 'Paris and London, 1937-1948, vol. 2'. Remastering on those was done by Ted Kendall who worked from good 78s sources.

The two JSP boxes are more complete than the Mosaic which has the Swing and HMV sides only. The Decca sides are on the JSP boxes.

I suppose the Deccas are on the Jazz in Paris discs, too, so if I have those (seven they are, some stuff from other labels than Decca is included, too, I believe), I won't need the JSPs, right? (I do have the Mosaic and love it.)

ubu

I suppose the Deccas are on the Jazz in Paris discs, too, so if I have those (seven they are, some stuff from other labels than Decca is included, too, I believe), I won't need the JSPs, right? (I do have the Mosaic and love it.)

ubu

Wrong, the Jazz in Paris - with one or two exceptions - had only sessions recorded in Paris.

The London sessions of the Quintet of the Hot Club de France were not included in the various Djangos of the series.

Disc 4 of the JSP volume 1 has the lot. 26 tracks, 75 minutes of it!

They are also in one of the Fremeaux Django 2CD sets which supposedly have everything that Django ever recorded.

ubu

Wrong, the Jazz in Paris - with one or two exceptions - had only sessions recorded in Paris.

The London sessions of the Quintet of the Hot Club de France were not included in the various Djangos of the series.

Disc 4 of the JSP volume 1 has the lot. 26 tracks, 75 minutes of it!

They are also in one of the Fremeaux Django 2CD sets which supposedly have everything that Django ever recorded.

Thanks brownie! Now is there any other way to get the music? Or is there more on the JSPs that is not part of the Mosaic or the Jazz in Paris discs?

By the late 1940s, Django, besides going electric, was quoting many of Charlie Christian's licks.

"7"