Strata East

jazzman21

Pretty sure it's Tolliver's baby now. I heard "rumblings" back in the day about him not paying. Charles Sullivan, I think, even filed suit to get his album back. It was then reissued on Inner City. Seems like I heard other tales from other sources as well.

Now, understand. I don't know enough about the details to know whether or not Tolliver ever intentionally ripped anybody off. For all I know, he might have had problems collecting from distributors, and/or any other number of problems that could have created a real cashflow problem, for which he ended up taking the heat. I honestly don't know. But there was some not-too-private bad blood surrounding the dissolution of the label, iirc.

I've also heard that the Charly did NOT pay royalties to (some?/many?/any?) of the Strata artists. In fact, I've heard this from several unrelated sources over the last few years (both on-line, and off), so I've always assumed it was true. Can anyone confirm this?? Does Charly have a history of this with other labels they've reissued on CD too?? :unsure: / :angry:

Did all the other CD sources for Strata pay royalties?? (I'm assuming yes, unless I hear otherwise.)

Charly was launched by French record 'producer' Jean-Luc Young after the end of the Byg-Actuel adventure in the early '70s.

Young was one of the three founders of the Byg label.

Need I say more?