charlie parker

mrjazzman

It depends on your minimum sonic threshold. I have the series (25 volumes or so)--some volumes are simply unlistenable, at least by me. That is, the recording is so bad I really can't enjoy the playing. Others contain wonderful gems, of surprising audio qualify. I'm glad I have it, but could probably condense the entire series into just a few CDs that I would listen to repeatedly.

I think Cadence had a lot of these but I don't know if they still do. Some of the sound is on the kind found in the Mosaic. There are some sessions at the Pershing ballroom that are very hard to listen to. Then, there's a session on Vol 18 at a club in LA that's really good sound and definitely worth it. So, it depends on your threshold.

Depends on what you already have from Bird...

Do you have the Dials, Savoys, Verves, the Mosaic box of the Dean Benedetti, the 1952 Rockland Palace concert records?

Those - and a number of others - are to get into before you start exploring the Bird's Eyes series...

There have already been quite a number of Charlie Parker recommendations threads on this Board.

For example:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...topic=11301&hl=

What I think Brownie has in mind are

1) Parker's studio recordings on Savoy, Dial, Verve, and smaller labels.

2) Some of the best live recordings that are not included on Philology because they were available elsewhere (Philology only tried to supplement what was not otherwise available). That includes Carnegie Hall (1947, 1949), Massey Hall, the Royal Roost recordings (1948-49), Birdland 1950 with Fats and Bud, Cafe Society, Bird in Boston, Bird in Washington DC, Storyville, 1951 Birdland with Diz and Bud, Rockland Palace, and some others.

The above recordings tend to be in good sound and are often complete performances. Most of the Philology recordings are only Bird solos in variable sound quality. The Benedetti box is more of the same. These recordings are worth picking up if you already have everything listed above and still hunger for more.

That said, there is at least one Philology disc that every Bird fan needs. I forget the volume number, but it has the subtitle of "Bird in 1950." It contains private recordings that have become widely known as "The Apartment Sessions." They have to be heard to be believed.

Edited by John L

That said, there is at least one Philology disc that every Bird fan needs.  I forget the volume number, but it has the subtitle of "Bird in 1950."  It contains private recordings that have become widely known as "The Apartment Sessions."  They have to be heard to be believed.

Do you know if this recommendation of yours was originally released on LP? I seem to remember a recording on the Zim(?) label titled "The Apartment Sessions". Have to take a trip into my "archives" to check that out.

Edited by MartyJazz

That said, there is at least one Philology disc that every Bird fan needs. I forget the volume number, but it has the subtitle of "Bird in 1950." It contains private recordings that have become widely known as "The Apartment Sessions." They have to be heard to be believed.

That's vol. 12 of the Bird's Eyes' series. Subtitled 'BIRD IN 1950- Diplomat Hotel, N.Y.C./136th Street Session). That session was also published as 'The Apartment Sessions' by Spotlite in vinyl days!

Thank you, John, for elaborating on my quick reply!

Those Bird's Eyes series are quite a mess! But that's allright with me.

One I enjoyed was vol. 16 with some rare Bird PLUS a 1962 concert by Louis Armstrong in the beautiful city of Florence! Ten tracks with no Bird in sight( :lol:

That said, there is at least one Philology disc that every Bird fan needs.  I forget the volume number, but it has the subtitle of "Bird in 1950."  It contains private recordings that have become widely known as "The Apartment Sessions."   They have to be heard to be believed.

Do you know if this recommendation of yours was originally released on LP? I seem to remember a recording on the Zim(?) label titled "The Apartment Sessions". Have to take a trip into my "archives" to check that out.

Yes, those Apartment tapes were released on Zim in the USA and Spotlite in England. Can't remember which came first!

Paul, can you elaborate.........

Sorry. Didn't mean to give a glib answer with no substance.

As brownie said, the Philologies are something to go after once you have the Dials, Savoys, etc., in your collection and in your ears.

There are certainly some worthwhile items in the Philology Bird collection. I only have a few Philologies because I have quite a bit of their material on LP. One that I do recommend is Philology W.80.2, Bird's Eyes Vol. 8. It features several cuts of Bird playing with Kenton's band in early 1954. It also contains a recording of Paul Desmond interviewing Bird on a radio program.

The Philology series is hit or miss, especially in the area of sound quality (that usually doesn't bother me when it comes to Bird, but some of the things I've heard are next to unlistenable), but there's some great music and some fascinating oddities to be found. (I include the Desmond interview among the latter).

Another one which I think every fan should have is Volume 18, Bird Eyes/Stardust. This has the Live at the Finale Club in L.A. from 1946 (Miles, Joe Albany), a session with Benny Carter, Willie Smith, Nat King Cole, Oscar Moore and Buddy Rich, also from 1946, and a 17 minute interview with John McLellan in Boston from 1953.