Woody Herman's 1963

ghost of miles

I've got a couple of freebies still coming from BMG, and they have the mini-LP Verve re-issue of Herman's Philips album 1963. Jim Sangrey swears by this period of Herman, and who knows if the alleged Philips "box" will ever come to pass, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger--any thoughts from those who might already have it?

This is an absolutely fantastic big band album. Five stars in every possible category - sound, performance, charts, solos, ensemble playing. There is very little in the world of big band jazz that is better than this. This band just smoked. Wait 'til you hear Jake Hanna tear it up behind Sal Nistico on Sister Sadie.

And to think you're going to get it free. Don't think twice. Grab it.

I think it was Bill Basie who said "give me a great lead trumpet player and a great drummer and I'll give you a great band." Well, this band of Herman's from '62-'64 had two of the greatest - Bill Chase and Jake Hanna. The lock-up between these two guys was just unbelivable. No wonder it was such a great band. And good as this album is, it's probably not even the best Herman Philips recording. The real no-brainer is why somebody - Verve or Mosaic - doesn't put out a box set of this stuff. Unless there's a lot of unreleased material in the can, this is not going to be much more than a 4 CD set. What were there - 5 albums? I'll tell you, if it the box ever comes out I'll crawl over broken glass to get it.

Ok, you know how the First Herd's "Caledonia" was probably the RUDEST record ever made by a bunch of popular white guys, at least in its time? How the opening trumpet plunger riff sounds like a group of hopped up speedfreak sons slapping their momma? How Flip Phillips' solo is like a man with a 13" schlong who ain't gotten any for a cuppla weeks walking up to EVERY chick he sees with his fly open and saying, "C'mon baby.Now!", and how the trumpets just egg him on, like they know that once Flip scores, EVERYBODY scores? How the ending shout chorus has Dave Tough pounding the SHIT out of his cymbals like nobody's really done before or since? How Chubby Jackson pushes the band with a drive that can only be described as hormones-without-restraint? How Woody's vocal is just so "FUCK YOU" in the most agreeable manner possible? How when the record's over your adrenaline is pumped up 20-30 higher than it was before? And how while at the same time there's all this crazed testosterone-driven horndoggy sociopathy going on, actual music of not a little substance is geting made?

Well, that's the spirit of every great band that Woody ever had, and the mid-60s band was one of his greatest. It's a "big band" - not a "jazz orchestra", "improvisational ensemble" or anything else like that. They had charts and they played the charts like everytime was gonna be their last. It was definitely a "road" band. Not really interested in anything more esoteric than playing their ass off between bus rides and blurred-together one-nighters in anoymous towns for often clueless audiences who just wanted to dance to "Laura" one more time.

Sal Nistico - one of the all time great big-band tenorists, a genre unto itself. That motherfucker could play.

Bill Chase - higher and louder? No problem? You need it to SWING? Even LESS of a problem, then.

Phil Wilson - a certified character as both trombonist and writer. Tricky Sam lives, and with the emphasis on Tricky.

Nat Pierce - too damn old to have been out on the road at this point of his life, but there he was, and writing a bunch of charts that don't do anything more demanding than sound freakin' great.

Jake Hanna - a drummer I elsewise have little or no use for, but the perfect drummer for THIS band. He played tight on the beat, could handle any insane uptempo, keep a ballad from dragging, and put just the right touch (and nothing more) exactly where and when it needed to be put. If Jo Jones ever got his chocolate in Max Roach's peanut butter, the resulting Reese's Cup would be Jake Hanna in his Herman years.

And Woody? Woody? Woody Herman is proof that if you give a bunch of nuts enough rope, they'll build you a castle before they hang themselves in it. Woody was a bandleader like they don't much make anymore, somebody who was at once corny and hip, and who ALWAYS knew when to be which and to what degree. Anybody else sings those lyrics to "Camel Walk", and I'm reachin' for some heat. With Woody, it's a surrealistic cornball moment that you just GOT to laugh at. Because, like the 3 Stooges, it may be DUMBER tahn hell, but it's also FUNNIER than hell too. And oh yeah - it SWINGS like a M-U-T-T-H-A-F-U-K-K-A-H too.

So yeah, if you want music of probing intellectual or spiritual qualities, or some other worthy qualities, look elsewhere than the 60s Herd. But if you want a quality "Boys' Night Out", one that will make you feel like a man sometimes likes, no, NEEDS to feel every so often when the shit gets a little TOO thick, but is top-shelf in every regard, then dive in headfirst and stay as long as you like. Nobody gets pissed when you leave, because they KNOW you'll be back. Oh yes you will.

I guarantee it.

Edited by JSngry