Great news for fans of the Minutemen

John B

from Pitchfork:

Minutemen Documentary to Premiere This Week

James Gregory reports:

As our punk heroes wage the treacherous battle with middle age, more films chronicling the glory days of the once-vital movement are slowly making their way to the silver screen. Following in the wake of last year's well-received Ramones documentary End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones, comes a new documentary tribute to legendary California trio the Minutemen.

Produced by Rocket Fuel Films, We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen compresses the band's all-too brief five-year lifespan into a feature-length history lesson. Directed by longtime fan Tim Irwin, the project details the band's existence from its early-80's inception, through five classic SST studio albums, to its 1985 disbanding after the death of frontman D. Boon in a tragic car accident.

Bursting with creativity and a sense of improvisation previously unheard in the American punk scene, the band skirted the lines between punk, hardcore, free jazz, folk, and rockabilly (as heard in songs like "Corona", which served as the theme to MTV's Jackass). The Minutemen's SST output, especially the classic '84 release Double Nickels on the Dime, has cemented the band's place as one of indie rock's landmark bands, and its influence can still be heard throughout the community to this day.

According to the film's official website, the upcoming documentary began filming in January 2003, and the final edit features over eighty interviews, including input from surviving band members Mike Watt (bass) and George Hurley (drums), as well as Thurston Moore, Flea, Henry Rollins, and Ian MacKaye. We Jam Econo is also full of previously unseen Minutemen live footage, which director Tim Irwin recently shed some light on in a post on the film's site.

"We were blown away by some of the stuff that came out of the woodworks," Irwin wrote. "Most notably a two-camera recording of a show at the Starwood in November of 1980. We also have a show at the 9:30 Club, a performance at Irvine Meadows, the acoustic session from a public access channel, and various other one-offs." According to producer Keith Schieron, the film has about 25 live performances in it and the DVD will have about fifty.

Although a distribution deal has not been worked out yet, We Jam Econo will make its theatrical premiere on February 25 in San Pedro, California. The screening will be followed by a Q+A with Irwin and Schieron, as well as Watt and Hurley. Additional screenings are being planned for major cities across the country.

Edited by John B

I read about that too. Reminded me that I guy I worked with years ago used to have (or still has?) a well-edited video tape of the Minutemen playing the Ballroom of the Student Union at the University of Kansas in 1984. It's been at least ten years since I've see it (or him, for that matter) but the footage is great. Whoever filmed it also conducted interviews with the whole band and each member individualy.

I wonder if that footage ended up in this film? :huh:

Edited by Brandon Burke

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This film is being released today on DVD, with a second disc containing 3 complete live shows! I was lucky enough to see them twice, including one just a few weeks before D. Boon's death. Although I haven't listened to it in a while, I don't think I've ever loved an album more than Double Nickels on the Dime. At the time, it just had everything I was looking for.

• 4 months later...

I just bought We Jam Econo and didn't like it as much as I would've liked to. I think it was the format of it; it didn't seem to have much with the interviews. I need to watch it again. There's an unreleased song on the 2nd disc from The Starwood show called Art Analysis; great song. The unedited Bard interview is hard to sit through with the interviewer instruction them on how to answer.What stuck out to me is towards the end when talking about their tour with REM which was about to start, Boon says his own date of death; December 22 (1985). Just enough to send a chill possibly. I also found it amazing how Boon would be out of tune, still play, and it didn't sound extremely bad. Some of the things he played, he didn't need to be in tune for.

This film is being released today on DVD, with a second disc containing 3 complete live shows! I was lucky enough to see them twice, including one just a few weeks before D. Boon's death. Although I haven't listened to it in a while, I don't think I've ever loved an album more than Double Nickels on the Dime. At the time, it just had everything I was looking for.

It surely is a great album; one of my favorite double-albums (in the sense of 2-LP) of all time. Have to say I like What Makes A Man Start Fires just as much though.

Did you see them in Philly at the Opera House on 3rd and Brown??? The Dead Milkmen opened. It was supposed to be Billy Bragg but he had visa problems. Anyway, great show.

One of these days I'll get a DVD player. Maybe I should get the DVD now anyway. Saw it in theaters and thought it great... was a wee one when the band was actually around, as is the case with so many things.

Edit: remembered that I don't even have a television!

Edited by clifford_thornton

• 4 months later...

fIREHOSE only happened because the lead singer of the Minutemen was killed in an auto wreck. As I understand it, Watt was going to quit music entirely and took quite a bit of convincing to try again with fIREHOSE. I love the Ragin', Full On album. I hadn't had it since losing the tape years ago, so it was great to get it from eMusic.

fIREHOSE only happened because the lead singer of the Minutemen was killed in an auto wreck. As I understand it, Watt was going to quit music entirely and took quite a bit of convincing to try again with fIREHOSE.

All true. I don't know Watt, but he is a close friend of a friend.