"Ole Coltrane" reissue trivia question

riverrat

Can anyone tell me about this version of "Ole Coltrane": Japanese CD remaster AMCY 1007.

Is this a 20 or 24-bit remaster? How does the sound compare to the currently available US version? (I'm not too impressed with that.)

I think there is a later Japanese remaster (AMCY 1159?) but I cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, the older Japanese reissue (EastWest AMCY-1007) is not 20-bit or 24-bit remastered.

I have the later mini-LP sleeve reissue (EastWest AMCY-1159), and that one's 20-bit K2 remastered. The sound is much better than the domestic Rhino reissue.

Ditto that. I have six of the mini-LP AMCY 11xx titles of Coltrane's, and they're all brilliant to my ears. Most significantly, I think this particular series has the best-sounding version of Giant Steps to date. Far better than the Rhino remaster, better than the gold disc by MSFL, and even better than my (not original pressing) vinyl. The only thing, of course, is that you don't get bonus tracks. I can actually live without a lot of the alternates from this period, but it would be nice, say, on Coltrane's Sound to have "26-2" in the package. (Accordingly, Olé Coltrane doesn't contain "To Her Ladyship.")

This series also reissued the eponymous Warne Marsh album on Atlantic — great cover, very very fine sound. I never could find any Ornette Coleman's, and only one Mingus, from this series, and always wondered what was made available. If NBC released this series, it would be a Thursday night "must-hear CD" series. (Why did I just say that?)

Edited by Late

Ditto that. I have six of the mini-LP AMCY 11xx titles of Coltrane's, and they're all brilliant to my ears. Most significantly, I think this particular series has the best-sounding version of Giant Steps to date. Far better than the Rhino remaster, better than the gold disc by MSFL, and even better than my (not original pressing) vinyl. The only thing, of course, is that you don't get bonus tracks. I can actually live without a lot of the alternates from this period, but it would be nice, say, on Coltrane's Sound to have "26-2" in the package. (Accordingly, Ol?Coltrane doesn't contain "To Her Ladyship.")

This series also reissued the eponymous Warne Marsh album on Atlantic ?great cover, very very fine sound. I never could find any Ornette Coleman's, and only one Mingus, from this series, and always wondered what was made available. If NBC released this series, it would be a Thursday night "must-hear CD" series. (Why did I just say that?)

Free Jazz is the only Coleman issued in the series, and Pithecanthropus Erectus is the one Mingus title.

Free Jazz is the only Coleman issued in the series, and Pithecanthropus Erectus is the one Mingus title.

That's not quite true: there were two Ornette Coleman titles in the Japanese 20-bit K2 mini-LP sleeve series, Free Jazz (EastWest AMCY-1152) and The Shape of Jazz to Come (don't know the number, it's the only one mentioned here that I don't have), and there were also two Charles Mingus reissues in that series, Pithecanthropus Erectus (EastWest AMCY-1183) and The Clown (EastWest AMCY-1173).

I also have six Coltrane 20-bit K2 mini-LP sleeve titles and the Warne Marsh, and I agree with Late: they're terrific!

Edited by J.A.W.

That's not quite true: there were two Ornette Coleman titles in the Japanese 20-bit K2 mini-LP sleeve series, Free Jazz (EastWest AMCY-1152) and The Shape of Jazz to Come (don't know the number, it's the only one mentioned here that I don't have), and there were also two Charles Mingus reissues in that series, Pithecanthropus Erectus (EastWest AMCY-1183) and The Clown (EastWest AMCY-1173).

I also have six Coltrane 20-bit K2 mini-LP sleeve titles and the Warne Marsh, and I agree with Late: they're terrific!

You're right. I even have that Clown disc and forgot. :PThe Shape of Jazz to Come I see was released as AMCY-1171.

Does anyone have a list of these AMCY titles? I'd like to pick up The Shape of Jazz to Come, and I'm guessing Hiroshi Tanno is probably the best stop for this; if anyone can recommend another venue, please tell! I know that Roland Kirk's The Inflated Tear was part of this series, as well as the Marsh-Konitz Atlantic (though I think Koch's HDCD is sufficient, and sounds superb), and I think the Messengers/Monk collaboration was also part of this series. I'd like to know if any Shorty Rogers made it in. Whereas other Japanese series seem to get a fair amount of exposure (relatively speaking) here in the States, I don't remember ever really being aware of this particular series. I stumbled upon them, and tried to pick up what was affordable and available. (In the days of friendlier coupons at Tower, they could be had at a price not too painful on the eyes.)

Does anyone have a list of these AMCY titles? I'd like to pick up The Shape of Jazz to Come, and I'm guessing Hiroshi Tanno is probably the best stop for this; if anyone can recommend another venue, please tell! I know that Roland Kirk's The Inflated Tear was part of this series, as well as the Marsh-Konitz Atlantic (though I think Koch's HDCD is sufficient, and sounds superb), and I think the Messengers/Monk collaboration was also part of this series. I'd like to know if any Shorty Rogers made it in. Whereas other Japanese series seem to get a fair amount of exposure (relatively speaking) here in the States, I don't remember ever really being aware of this particular series. I stumbled upon them, and tried to pick up what was affordable and available. (In the days of friendlier coupons at Tower, they could be had at a price not too painful on the eyes.)

Sorry to disappoint you, but you can forget about most titles in this series, they're virtually impossible to get - especially The Shape of Jazz to Come; I've been chasing that one for ages... :(

Yes, most of these titles are difficult to find, but here's the list:

AMCY 1151 To Sweden With Love - Art Farmer

AMCY 1152 Free Jazz - Ornette Coleman

AMCY 1153 Somewhere Before - Keith Jarrett

AMCY 1154 The Two Sides of Jack Wilson - Jack Wilson

AMCY 1155 Giant Steps - John Coltrane

AMCY 1156 Coltrane Jazz - John Coltrane

AMCY 1157 Coltrane Plays the Blues - John Coltrane

AMCY 1158 Coltrane's Sound - John Coltrane

AMCY 1159 Ole - John Coltrane

AMCY 1160 Afternoon in Paris - John Lewis

AMCY 1161 John Lewis Piano - John Lewis

AMCY 1162 Herbie Mann at the Village Gate - Herbie Mann

AMCY 1163 Drums Unlimited - Max Roach

AMCY 1164 Fontessa - MJQ

AMCY 1165 Modern Jazz Quartet - MJQ

AMCY 1166 No Sun in Venice - MJQ

AMCY 1167 Pyramid - MJQ

AMCY 1168 Blues on Bach - MJQ

AMCY 1169 Lee Konitz Meets Warne Marsh - Konitz/Marsh

AMCY 1170 The Inflated Tear - Roland Kirk

AMCY 1171 The Shape of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman

AMCY 1172 My Favorite Things - John Coltrane

AMCY 1173 The Clown - Charles Mingus

AMCY 1174 Forest Flower - Charles Lloyd

AMCY 1175 Memphis Underground - Herbie Mann

AMCY 1176 One for Piano - Billy Taylor

AMCY 1177 Here Is Phineas - Phineas Newborn, Jr.

AMCY 1178 Ballads and Blues - Milt Jackson

AMCY 1179 The Modern Jazz Quartet with Jimmy Giuffre - MJQ/Jimmy Giuffre

AMCY 1180 Alone at Montreux - Ray Bryant

AMCY 1181 Warne Marsh

AMCY 1182 Stitt Plays Bird - Sonny Stitt

AMCY 1183 Pitheanthropous Erectus - Charles Mingus

AMCY 1184 Tony Fruscella

AMCY 1185 Infinite Search - Miroslav Vitous

AMCY 1186~7 European Concert - MJQ

AMCY 1188~9 Concert in Japan '66 - MJQ

AMCY 1190~1 The Last Concert - MJQ

AMCY 1192 Volunteered Slavery - Roland Kirk

AMCY 1193 Destry Rides Again - Roland Hanna

Edited by Saint Vitus

Vitus, you're a saint! Thanks for the list.

MJQ fans must have loved this series. Some curious picks. No Rogers? Ah well. It does seem strange, however, that there wouldn't be The Avant Garde (Coltrane-Cherry), or at least Change of the Century included.

Hans — Hiroshi couldn't find Shape for you? :oSay it ain't so!

• 1 year later...

Up from the depths of 2003, as Hiroshi finally landed a copy (AMCY 1171) of The Shape of Jazz to Come for me. I spun it three times today. Absolutely gorgeous. It's weird how much a good remaster can make a difference sometimes. (And the little puppy was an affordable 1600¥!)

Particularly amazing — Charlie Haden's bass comes through with equal presence to Ornette's alto! Not even on my old vinyl (which is not an original pressing) did the bass sound this good. It's almost as if I'm hearing the music for the first time. Very exciting — little nuances of Cherry's horn lines, for example, come through with more clarity ... his breath, "ghosted" notes, and how he plays under Ornette for the melodies.

Whew.

:wub:

• 6 years later...