Upcoming Ellington box on JSP

Chalupa

I guess I was wondering more about what labels do the recordings cover?? Brunswick?? RCA?? Okeh?? Music Craft?

JSP is an english label. England is EU. Sort of. All those labels are Public Domain over here for the sides that were recorded more than 50 years old!

I have seen that JSP box but could not find any identification on who did the mastering!

I just picked up ( at Lon's suggestion) the 3 Cd "Early Ellington" Complete Vocalion/Brunswick - Decca recordings 1926-1929- this certainly would appear to overlap with this new JSP set.

I had been wondering where the best place to get Dukes RCA and Columbia output prior to the Blanton Webster band. I guess the Duke Centennial box but it's oop and too expensive. The early Columbia material appears to some single and double CDs but I'm guessing these releases are incomplete. Perhaps the French Columbia and RCA -Jazz tribune vinyls are the way to go.... any thoughts....

Edited by Clunky

Classics is one good way to go, you'll get overlap though of the material you now have. . . . But you haven't bought the Victor material yet, so it may be the best way to get the Columbia and Victor material (and MORE) sans alternates (which are available from Neatwork).

That said, I really like the Columbia sets out. . . sound could be a little better but is not at all bad, and the way the music is grouped is cool and the music is out of this world great.

Then there are also those European releases from Definitive et al. . .

I have this 3-disc Columbia set, and it's very nice:

60389630.jpg

The first disc has 24 pre-Blanton/Webster tracks. It's not a comprehensive collection of all the Columbia material from that period by any means, but the set presents a nice survey of all of Ellington's Columbia recordings. And the 80-page booklet that comes with it is terrific--lots of info, photos, etc. and very well organized.

For early Ellington, there's also the 2-disc Okeh set:

B00000274L.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A lot of the same songs as on the Brunswick set, but recorded for the Okeh label. The sound is more processed (less surface noise) than on the Brunswick set, but still acceptable. And 6 of the tracks in this set are also included in the above Columbia set.

this site seems to have some decent information

Duke Ellington

It's from 1997 and has not been updated :angry:

Regarding the pre-1940 Ellington music, I will shed another valley of tears over the demise of the Masters of Jazz series on Duke Ellington. It went up to vol. 12 (Oct. 1930-Jan. 1931) and then went down!

When those MofJ were coming out, I was hoping to get rid of the French CBS two-fer vinyls that included eveything from Okeh/Columbia. I'm glad I kept those even if I am much less happy with the sound on them than Lon seems to be!

A shame that Columbia/Sony still has not managed to do justice to their recordings, the way BMG did with their RCA Victor Centennial box.

I do hope that the Spanish/Andorran labels will do the Columbia/Okeh sides properly.

In the meantime, those Classics are pretty good even if they stick to master takes and do not include any non-studio material.

• 5 months later...

I picked this up, based on one positive comment about the remastering on another forum, but I must say I'm not terribly impressed. It's not particularly better or worse than the Okeh collection from Sony on those tracks....just a bit different w/ the eq. Does NOT sound like they did their own transfer work (a sad trend from JSP....it's still worth watching for a few of the older J. R. T. Davies transfers to get the cheap box treatment, but be wary...). It's not a retread of the nasty German History transfers (no high end, fake stereo) at least, so the completist (assuming further volumes are forthcoming) could do worse, I suppose. I wonder if they will rip off transfers from the RCA Centennial collection?