Tommy Smith's 1967 Selmer Mark VI Tenor

Before going on Ebay this precious saxophone is on offer

to everyone on the Spartacus Record data base.

Tommy Smith (Owner since 1984 - Purchased from Emilio Lyons, Rayburns Music,

Boston)

Tenor Saxophone (featured on his 22 solo albums)

Model: Selmer Mark VI

Serial Number: 142589

Year: 1967

w/ 3 Interchangable Saxophone Crooks (necks):

a) S. Bosken 066 (Nickel & Silver) 2001

c) Original

b) Silver Mark VI

Black Leather Saxophone Case

Reunion Blues (Purchased Le Menetrer) Paris 1999

Saxophone Overhauled 21 February 2005

by Roberto Romeo, 146 West 46th St, NYC

If anyone is interested

Offers start at: $7,000

Email: ts@pratacusrecords.com

Tommy, who is a friend, is a very, very proud Scottsman.

For that reason, he has chosen to stay In Scotland, even after his early sucess in the States with Gary Burton and the Blue Note label. In Scotland he is the Director of the Scottish Jazz Orchestera, tours, records and even owns a small castle!

Don't let the kilt and tatar fool you; he is as bad as a saxophone player alive. You should check out his huge catalouge that he has with his own Spatacus Records and Linn. This year he was on Joe Locke's "Dear Life" and has been touring with Joe and his 4 Walls Of Freedom band, were he replaced the dear departed Bob Berg.

This Summer, when that band played the Rocjester Jazz Festival and a copuple of other near by gigs, we went to the hotel were all the Festival musicians stayed and there was a nightly jam session schecduled.

Tommy and the 4 Walls drummer, gary Novak got up to sit in on " Softly In A Morning Sunrise" with two other horn players and bass and guitar. After the melody, Tommy took the first solo that was a building, visceral, booting and volcanic. All of the other players except for drunner Novak bowed out while they looked on with their jaws dropped and eyes bulging.

Smith and Novak got so intense that the room was half awestruck and bolted to their seats and the other half were screaming like it was the coming of Rapture. It like Trane and Elvin. It was very, very intense. It was the best live saxophone playing I have ever heard, bar none. The other players took it feebly out and called it a set, and went for a drink.

So don't be fooled by the kilt!

He certainly hasn't stopped playing. I saw him play here in Aberdeen last thursday and he was in tremendous form. I've seen him play three times in the past 18 months and previously he has sounded technically excellent but somehow disjointed. But last week he was sensational, a blistering session that had me searching for superlatives (and the malt whisky). I know it was taped and hope that the tape reaches daylight sometime in the future.

I've never seen him in a kilt so maybe this is something he only does while "abroad".

I'm astonished he is selling his sax. I remember him telling me over a year ago in the interval between sets that he had had it for years and years. I can't imagine why he would sell it - I mean even if he has found a better one its the kind of thing you would want to keep locked away just for the memories.

So what's the story?

I really don't know why he is selling it. He may have had a new one made for him by the manufacturer that he endorses ( can't remember the name right now). He wouldn't be selling it if he did not have a reason.

As for his kilt; yes I believe it is his way of wearing his nationality on his ass, so to speak, when abroad. The first photo was when he was in Yeman, of all places, and the second is with Joe Locke in Rochester, New York; both from last year.

• 1 month later...

That's a nice one.

Bluesmith ( with Scofield ) is great, also and Reminiscence is another. Both on Linn.

Some of his most recent is with Joe Locke and 4 Walls Of Freedom ( Dear Life ).

Re: the saxophone:

The story is that Tommy was in NYC and went to his saxophone doctor who showed him a new horn to get his opinion ( Tommy is a aknowledged Master and his opinion is regarded as so ). Tommy said that when he tried the new horn it was liked being freed and he knew with this horn he would be able to get around like never before. A scary thought if you know him, you should hear is solo sax cd "Into Slience). So he bought the new one and put the old saw up for sale.