Favorite '70s Supernatural/Horror Show

Which one did you like best?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just caught the first Kolchak episode, Jack the Ripper, on the Sci-Fi channel, inspiring this poll.

Even though I was only about 8 or 10 years old, I have strong recollections of both these shows, or at least I do remember that a few of the Ghost Story episodes scared the crap out of me. Couldn't find any decent sites for Ghost Story, I did find this site for Night Stalker, which gives some interesting background on the show and how unhappy Darren McGavin ultimately was with the production and the network:

http://www.darrenmcgavin.net/night_stalker1.htm

Interesting tidbit I discovered in my searching: Both of these programs were originally created by Richard Matheson (well, Matheson wrote the first TV Movie that introduced the Kolchak character). And of course Matheson got his initial attention with his writing for Twilight Zone.

So, my choice? I'm really torn because I realize now that when I was a kid, I wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the characters, and the interaction between Carl and his editor. It was all about being scared, and at 9 years old, it didn't take much to do that.

Same of course, with Ghost Story: I just have strong memories of being really shaken up by a few episodes. I think that the debut episode had something to do with a pirate ship, and a haunted house, and a ghost who looks like the lady of the house and she sends the housekeeper away, on a dark and stormy night. And another one, something about a plane crash, and someone who didn't get on the plane being haunted by the colleagues who died in the crash. Funny how you can dredge up little tidbits of memories from nearly forgotten shows from 30 years ago.

Anywhoo .... anyone else remember these shows? Which one would you want to watch again?

Anybody remember a show from the late 70's called Cliffhanger? I think that was the name of it anyway...it was a 3 episode series, one was a vampire story...I can't for the life of me remember anything else about it.

As for series though, if we can include mini-series, I would have to put my vote towards Salem's Lot - - that flick TOTALLY creeped me out (and not just David Soul's acting)...Reggie Nalder's vampire is the best ever. Plus you can't go wrong with James Mason as the creepy antique store owner.

That flick turned me into an immediate Stephen King fan overnight (although I haven't read a King book all the way through in at least 10 years now).

Guest Chaney

I, like apparently lots of fiolks at the time, liked the initial TV movie which pitted Kolchak against the vampire (Barry...?).

The series though grew tired very quickly as one show was pretty much the same as the next and towrd the end, the series was running out of monsters! Maybe they should have stuck with vampires, period. Kolchak: The Vampire Slayer.

Ghost Story? Can't say I remember much about that one.

I was a HUGE Kolchak fan. That show moved all over the TV schedule, and was on, for a period, at 10:00 Wednesday nights, starting an hour after my bedtime. I would sneak downstairs and watch it standing up on the black and white TV in the kitchen with the sound just barely on and my ear right against the speaker so my parents wouldn't hear it. Got caught once or twice, but then the schedule changed and it was on Friday nights and I didn't have to be a big sneak about it. I still remember the theme song, even though I haven't seen the show since it was originally on. Didn't know Gil Melle wrote it.

Don't remember Ghost Story, but I'm surprised I don't, as that kind of thing was what I lived for back then. I also loved Cliffhanger, but don't remember much other than the vampire episodes.

I also religiously watched a syndicated show called 'The Hilarious House of Frightenstein,' but I don't remember much about that one either.

Saturday mornings, besides the obvious Scooby Doo and the Scooby Doo Movies (coming out on DVD), I thought Goober and the Ghost Chasers was original and entertaining. There was also the live-action The Ghost Busters. I'm sure there were others I'm forgetting.

I know this is a '70's thread (so when did the official thread title ever stop me?), but all the supernatural/horror shows of the '70's pale by comparison to the "Zone" and the "Limits" of the late '50's/early '60's.

How'bout Boris Karloff's THRILLER!

I know this is a '70's thread (so when did the official thread title ever stop me?), but all the supernatural/horror shows of the '70's pale by comparison to the "Zone" and the "Limits" of the late '50's/early '60's.

How'bout Boris Karloff's THRILLER!

I sure remember that. I was only 6 or 7 when that was airing. Watched it with my older brothers, and got the piss scared out of me a few times. Here's an interesting page on that: http://members.aol.com/terrortv/thrillerlist.html

I also remember...

38-8640.jpg

... which later became "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour".

'Ghost Story' episodes here. I remember when the series name changed to 'Circle of Fear.'

Oh, Circle of Fear!!! Heck, that's a different question; I loved that show!!! Assuming it's the one I remember, that is...

Why are the seventies so damned difficult to remember? Oh yeah. Nevermind...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

logo-top.gif

logo-bottom.gif

Kolchak: The Night Stalker - At long last! Well, according to one source, anyway.

Posted by David Lambert

3/14/2005

stake.jpg

The folks at The Sci Fi Channel run a great website. Not only does it cover and promote shows and events tied to the cable network, but it truly reaches out to science fiction fans with genre-related info that may not be directly related to their broadcasts. One of the cool things at their site along those lines is the Events Calendar. It lists dates for SciFi channel events like premieres of special shows and so forth, but also lists film openings, convention dates, book releases...and now DVD release dates as well, it seems.

Many of the DVD's you'll find on their master list are for releases we've already talked about, including the dates of all four seasons of Enterprise. The big surprise, though, are some end-of-the-year release dates for 5 highly anticipated sets from Univesal Studios Home Video!

Kolchak, The Night Stalker is one of those titles, and the SciFi.com events calendar is reporting a 10/04/2005 release date for it!

We tried to get Universal to comment on this, but they would neither confirm nor deny that schedule. What came up is that, if this DID represent the current plans for that set's release, we have to realize that plans can always change. Nothing that far off is set in stone, and we think our readers here at TVShowsOnDVD are among the best on the 'Net at realizing that. Still, it's good to know that it's that much on the radar, and even if that doesn't turn out to be the exact date, it seems to be coming!

Our thanks to two readers who tipped us off to these items being on the schedule: Michael Dormany and Jason Shanker. Stay tuned, and we'll keep you posted about this title, and the others on that listing, as soon as we hear more!

• 2 months later...

One of the networks was either working on a Kolchak pilot or it's already been picked up for next year.

bump...

ABC is going to be showing the new Nightstalker series, starting this fall. Stuart Townsend (stepped into Tom Cruise's shoes as the Vampire Lestat in Queen of the Damned) is Kolchak this go-round, with Gabrielle Union :wub: as the "sidekick".

New Nightstalker on ABC