Marc Ribot y los Cubanos Postizos

mikeweil

German

French

One hour of this band on Thursday night, March 10, 2005 at 00.50, that is 0.50 am (technically the 11th of March), with Anthony Coleman , Brad Jones , E. J. Rodriguez , Roberto Rodriguez. This was filmed by Anaïs Prosaï at the Festival Banlieues Bleues 2003.

Edited by mikeweil

... and I forgot to push a cassette into my recorder ... :rolleyes:

A nice gig, although I don't quite like Ribot's slightly kaputt stage personality. The drums/timbales player, Roberto Juan Rogriguez, is way cool - playing the hottest stuff in a totally relaxed fashion. The vocals by E.J. Rodriguez and his conga playing are a little extrovert, to my taste, and the band vocals border on parody, which, judging from the studio CDs, is intended.

Ubu, get the second CD - I think it is even better - more drum solos :g

... and I forgot to push a cassette into my recorder ... :rolleyes:

A nice gig, although I don't quite like Ribot's slightly kaputt stage personality. The drums/timbales player, Roberto Juan Rogriguez, is way cool - playing the hottest stuff in a totally relaxed fashion. The vocals by E.J. Rodriguez and his conga playing are a little extrovert, to my taste, and the band vocals border on parody, which, judging from the studio CDs, is intended.

Ubu, get the second CD - I think it is even better - more drum solos :g

May be, but it's produced to sound so very polished... I gave it a listen three or four times in stores, when it was new, but never took a liking...

The difference between them discos IMO is Medeski vs Anthony Coleman. Medeski seems to have more a grasp of the groove created by Ribot and the rhythm team that is rooted a bit more in the afro than Coleman who seems to tinker about and let those Sun Ra echos in his head come to play.

Both good and even better as a whole all smattered about on a single disc. :D

Any ever heard his Haitian music explorations?

but please yall go here:

afraid?, no...

You guys like the Tzadik album under Roberto Juan Rodriquez' name, El Danzon de Moises?

Got them both, and dig them to death!

Like em better than Ribot's!

Second, Baila, Gitano, Baila was my avatar for a while.

Did you find a place selling Tzadik releases at a decent prize over here? They're insanely expensive in shops here...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah man. That RJ recording is one wild band! Is there a second? I'd definitely be interested! Hell, Mike, I'd take any recommendations you've got directly to the store!

Yes there is a second Roberto Juan Rodriguez CD on Tzadik, Bail Gitano Baila - you will like it! (Sorry, noticed your request just now!)