charles lloyd - jumping the creek

etherbored

• 4 weeks later...

Stanley Crouch wrote the liner notes???!!! Wait, there's liner notes in an ECM disc????!!  :blink:

Occasionally. Charles wrote his own liner notes (interesting ones, actually) for All My Relations.

Guy

Umberto Eco did liners for two of Gianni Coscia's & Gianluigi Trovesi's duo discs, too.

Heard a few recent live shows of the group, and yes, Harland is impressive on those! Not sure I need another official release though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Got this from yourmusic recently. A solid disc, like most of Lloyd's ECMs, but I haven't made up my mind about it yet. Geri Allen's playing is superb and I like Lloyd's alto playing. Listening to his post-Voice in the Night ensemble albums, I got the feeling that he was sort of coasting with his playing; there isn't any of that here. Instead I get the feeling that he showed up to play on this date.

More thoughts:

1) Some of the shorter pieces in the middle of the album are kinda "eh" and drag the whole thing down a bit.

2) "Sweet Georgia Bright" + intro is the highlight of the album for me. Allen's restatement of the theme (reharmonized? sorry, not a musician) at the end of her solo is awesome.

3) Lloyd's alto playing reminds me a little of Jackie McLean.

4) Allen quotes Duke Ellington's "Chinoiserie" on "Jumping the Creek", I think.

Guy

Edited by Guy

got this yesterday from a friend who did not like it......real nice especially ne mes quitte pas ..the first track up is just great

I must admit I do like his ECM work a hell of alot .....my other one I liked was lift every voice

Also picked up gianna cosci ( round about weill) from the same guy and a marc johnson lp.....bass desires

NIce sound on all of em too......I have spent years picking these ecms up and more often than not love em ...a few squeakers but very rare.......always fresh (even the nose lutes!)