Robert Fripp

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....he didn't punch you in the face for asking for that? B-) Seriously, that's a great pic, and great autograph as well.

I have the League of Crafty Guitarists disc, and really enjoy it...and the spinoff group, California Guitar Trio. I should explore his solo + Fripp/Eno work a bit. Any good places to start?

edit - I meant I have the RF String Quintet disc, not the League...

Edited by Aggie87

I have the League of Crafty Guitarists disc, and really enjoy it...and the spinoff group, California Guitar Trio. I should explore his solo + Fripp/Eno work a bit. Any good places to start?

Fripp & Eno -> Evening Star

solo -> Exposure (his days in NYC, inbetween '80's Crimson & '90's Crimson)

Frippertronics -> God Save the Queen, Under Heavy Maners, As the Power Falls.

The only Frippertronic/Soundscape album I was able to listen to was Gates of Paradise, the musical eulogy to his mother. Very pretty. Otherwise, I can't fathom actually listening to guitar ambience alone for 60 minutes. But it works really well in the context of Crimson.

The California Guitar Trio is a lot of fun, and their latest album, Whitewater, is beautiful, partly because it's not as gimmicky as the older work.

I also have CD by the League of Gentlemen, a pop-ish group he was in in the 70s or 80s. Pretty cool stuff.

"Exposure" is a wonderful, peculiar record - one minute KC power chords, next beautiful ballads, then oddball intellectual punk...with some very weird soundbites of Fripp's guru.

"No Pussyfooting", the first Fripp/Eno collaboration is very beautiful; I also like the recent 'The Equatorial Stars'. Very ambient but attractive.

I really like this one:

d354875ov81.jpg

The Robert Fripp String Quartet which is Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn and The California Guitar Trio. Very melodic with thak trademark snakey guitar.

This one is very different but great fun:

thrang.gif

Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx Official Bootleg: Live in 1980 by The League of Gentlemen. Sounds like punks with ph.d.'s doing strange, off-kilter pogo dancing.

The only Frippertronic/Soundscape album I was able to listen to was Gates of Paradise, the musical eulogy to his mother. Very pretty. Otherwise, I can't fathom actually listening to guitar ambience alone for 60 minutes. But it works really well in the context of Crimson.

That's the best one of the Soundscapes. The other's IMOP don't do it for me.

Soundscapes are digital (I think so, synth controled by guitar, digital delays and harmonizer).

Frippertronics are analog guitar, fuzz pedal, tape delays that include tape hiss, wow and flutter. A lot of unusual artifacts build up in the delay.

d354875ov81.jpg

The Robert Fripp String Quartet which is Robert Fripp, Trey Gunn and The California Guitar Trio. Very melodic with thak trademark snakey guitar.

That's the group I saw at Washington Sq. Church when I bought the photo. I also heard them a few nights at the World Financial CEnter (next door to the WTT), probablly the year before.

thrang.gif

Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx Official Bootleg: Live in 1980 by The League of Gentlemen. Sounds like punks with ph.d.'s doing strange, off-kilter pogo dancing.

There's a couple of boots at http://www.easytree.org that are just amazing.

One of my great regrets is I never heard that band live. That Summer there were all sorts of cool gigs going down, I opted to check out the Bill Bruford Group with the unknown John Clark instead of the LoG and Gentle Giant.

$$$ was an issue at that age.

Fripp is the one of the best guitarists I've ever heard, second only to Zappa (maybe). He is such an individual, so creative. I love his solos and his writing (after 5 years I still can't digest all of FraKctured, or the solo he lays down on Larks Tongues part IV)

I first heared 'No Pussyfooting' as the walk on music to the live gigs KC did in '72/'73. I think it came out on disc in '74.

Fripp has always been my favourite rock guitarist. I love it when he plays that really glissando like guitar, something that became rarer from the 80s KC onwards. I could never understand why he whipped out the solo in that style in Matte Kudasai for the reissues of Discipline (now restored as a bonus).

The ending of the second side of 'Lizard' and the studio version of 'The Talking Drum' have some classic examples of that style. Fred Frith used to do something similar but more jagged.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

He used to live about 20 miles away from me at a place in Wiltshire called Broad Chalk along with his Mrs, Toyah Wilcox, in a magnificent house formerly owned by Cecil Beaton. I have the feeling that they've moved from there now though. You still see a lot of shops with the name 'Fripp' on the sign in the Dorset/West Wiltshire area, no doubt all part of his extended family clan...

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 weeks later...

Next Collector's Club, Heidelberg 1974 is available for pre-ordering. As much as I like Fripp's constant evolution (as composer, player, buisinessman, etc), I still always find myself going back to this period of Crimson to study his playing. He just never sounded like anyone else.

Why did you let one of your kids scribble on the sleeve? Take more care with your possessions!

I still always find myself going back to this period of Crimson to study his playing. He just never sounded like anyone else.

I know what you mean.

His regular interviews with the UK music press were pretty wild too. He always came across as some sort of guru with an insatiable sex drive. As a 17 year old I lived in constant envy of what he claimed to be getting up to.

The only one I have is #20, Live at the Zoom Club, Oct. 13, 1972.

Let's hear it for '72! A great year in rock!

I should snag some of the other ones, but just don't listen to Crimson that much any more. Once in a while I'll work my way through the material. I am curious though, maybe I'l place an order with DGM this week.

I have been listening to David Sylvian a bit lately. Steel Cathedrals, Gone to Earth, the Fripp/Sylvian material (obviously) has Fripp on it. Gone to Earth is so beautiful.

Why did you let one of your kids scribble on the sleeve? Take more care with your possessions!

:lol:

He always came across as some sort of guru with an insatiable sex drive. As a 17 year old I lived in constant envy of what he claimed to be getting up to.

I understand Exposure was originally going to be called The Last Great New York Heart-Throb.

Exposure, now there's an amazing album. I wish he's do a deluxe version with all the different mixes. Ah...those were the days.

Edited by 7/4

Crimson is just about the only non-jazz I still listen to regularly (I'm not sure what category Zappa falls in....)- the level of improvisation is always listenable, if not astonishing. Something I'll never get bored of.

I still listen to a bunch of them...if I'm in the mood. I'm having a fling with some Yes boots this afternoon.

Prog is part of my roots. I have to check with the mother ship once in a while. :g

• 1 month later...

It seems that Oh! Mr. Fripp is touring his soundscapes again.

Robert Fripp Tour Dates

Robert is performing soundscapes in the US on the following dates. An * denotes a show where he is opening for the Porcupine Tree.

June 8th, San Francisco, CA, Fillmore *

June 9th, Ventura, CA, Ventura Theatre

June 10th, Los Angeles, CA, Wilshire Theater *

June 11th, Anaheim, CA, The Grove *

June 13th, San Diego, CA, House of Blues *

June 15th, Annapolis, MD, Rams Head

June 17th, Philadelphia, PA, World Cafe Live

June 18th, Huntington, NY, IMAC

June 19th, Amagansett, NY, Stephen Talkhouse

June 21st, New Haven, CT, Toad's Place

June 23rd, New York, NY, Concert Hall at the NY Society for Ethical Culture

June 24th, Boston, MA, Somerville Theater

June 25th, Providence, RI, Lupo's

Tickets for the Ventura, Somerville and Providence shows are currently available through TicketMaster. Check with the venues directly for tickets for shows in the other listed cities.

I'll be checking out the NYC show, at least.

Robert is performing soundscapes in the US on the following dates. An * denotes a show where he is opening for the Porcupine Tree.

I'm glad to see this. Adrian Belew also guested on PT's new release, Deadwing. Seems to be a bit of mutual respect that has formed between the two groups.

Porcupine Tree is my favorite contemporary rock group, and I've babbled about them in the Viva Prog Rock thread a bit. They're originally a Steve Wilson solo project, in a psych/prog vein, that evolved into a real group, with Richard Barbieri (former Japan keyboardist) on board as well. Well worth the effort to check them out!

Sorry for the hijack, back to the Fripp stuff. :tup