David Rakin's score for

Larry Kart

Caught a bit of this movie the other day -- starring Kirk Douglas, it's something of a sequel to "The Bad and The Beautiful"; both films are dark, inside-Hollywood tales; both directed by Vincent Minnelli, both starring Douglas, both with Raksin scores -- and the scene I came in on had some of the most striking, storytelling scoring I've ever heard. Director Edward G. Robinson is trying to lure the semi-washed-up Douglas into working with him on a film on the cheap; we're in a Rome hotel suite full of mirrors and long perspectives, and all we hear in addition to the dialogue is a floating choir of saxophones (a bit ala Bob Graettinger's "This Modern World," perhaps -- exquisitely played) that perfectly expresses/shadows Douglas' wavering, doubtful mood.

I looked around and saw that there was some stuff available, but not this one. Another one of the same vintage that caught my ear a few months ago was Alex North's score for an interesting Robert Mitchum western "The Wonderful Country" -- sort of Mexican Stravinsky at times, very witty and deep into the story.

Raksin was one of the really under rated film composers of the so called "Golden Era" in Hollywood.

( Along with guys Like Hugo Friedhofer, Alex North, and Leonard Rosenmann )

In addition, Raksin was a very witty man with a lot of great stories and insight into the movie scoring process . I went to several seminars he conducted and spent several moments with him one to one as well ..a very charming man and great rancouteur!

:tup:tup:tup