Chicago - Northside/Southside

Not that consequential, I suppose, but interesting to know for the purposes of recognising other things I might like!

I've now seen in a few places the distinction between 'Northside' and 'Southside' playing from Chicago. Is this a valid disctinction? What are the distinguishing features of playing from the respective 'sides'? Am I correct in thinking that the AACM is predominantly a Southside thing?

Sorry, these are questions from a non-American, non-Chicagoan - I'm just curious!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Chuck.

Is it musically significant? Are there any obvious ways to pick one from the other just by listening? I often see Ken Vandermark referred to as a typical Northside player, which was what suggested this question to me; as far as I'm aware, I haven't heard any 'Northside' music, and wondered whether North/South side styles were sufficiently cognate that liking one, I would have an idea that I liked the other!

• 3 weeks later...

In the old days, by and large, it used to be South Side Sox, North Side Cubs, though I grew up a Sox fan in a Northern suburb in the 1950s and remain one. Then, about a decade ago, the whole The Cubs are Chicago nonsense/mania/what have you began, and all bets were off. Seems like now you're as likely to encounter a Cubs fan from any part of the area, but a lot of those fans are just fans of being a Cubs fan IMO and don't know or care s*** about baseball. On the other hand, a lot of Sox fans also want the Cubs to die an ugly, painful death; I'd just as soon see them do well, especially now that that jerk Sosa is gone (and because my son grew up a genuine Cubs fan), though Dusty Baker really did a lot to f*** up the team last year and seems eager to continue in the same vein.

When I first moved to Chicago in 1989 or so (the lights were just up)I lived about two blocks from Wrigley on Clark street (right by "Nuts on Clark"). I could open my window during games (the ones I didn't attend) and hear Harry Caray singing at the seveth inning stretch. That's when you feel like you're really in Chicago. :)

caray2.jpgferrellcaray1.jpg

The real thing and Will Ferrell.

Edited by Free For All