Herbie Nichols ...

Larry Kart

I recall that in the liner notes to his Blue Note 12-inch LP, Herbie Nichols speaks affectionately of Heitor Villa-Lobos piano music, particuarly his Rudepoema. Today I was listening to a fine ASV Villa-Lobos CD by pianist Alma Petchersky, available cheap from Berkshire (it includes Rudepoema), and found some Nichols pre-echoes in several of the pieces from the sequence Cirandas.

can you recommend me a couple of items from the Nessa catalog as well?

I'm not Larry, so I hope you don't mind the recommendations:

I would highly recommend all of these:

Von Freeman - Serenade & Blues (absolutely beautiful. One of my favorite albums on Nessa)

Von Freeman - Have No Fear

Fred Anderson - The Missing Link

Air - Air Time

Also, the Art Ensemble box is a limited edition, and somewhat close to being out of print, if I remember correctly. Great music and a truly historic set.

There was (is) a great Rudepoema by Nelson Freire (1974 Teldec LP, reissued in Europe in 2003 on Warner) but Petchersky on ASV is close behind and the price at Berkshire ($5.99 I think) is right. Terrific recording job too. At one point Berkshire had three albums of her Villa-Lobos.