"Yo, Miles" - and other Electric Miles tributes

Rooster_Ties

Glad, in a perverse sort of way, to here JSngry dis this since otherwise I'd be tempted just to hear Frisell play Nefertitti...

Well, don't take my word on it, you might dig it anyway. It's not horrible or anything. I'm just at the stage right now where hearing ANYBODY do "Nefertitti" conjures up images of 21st century Dixieland in pizza parlors from coast to coast. But that's just me...

Has anyone heard this?

George Schuller Round 'bout NowRBN_thumb.jpg

Round ‘Bout Now: George Schuller Quintet

[PSR#J021302]

PERSONNEL

George Schuller- drums and percussion/composer

Donny McCaslin- soprano sax, tenor sax and alto flute

Ingrid Jensen- trumpet and flugelhorn

Tom Beckham- vibes/composer

Dave Ambrosio- bass

Matt Darriau- kaval and bass clarinet (guest appearance)

Pete McCann- guitar (guest appearance)

Sonny Barbato- accordion (guest appearance)

TRACKS

1. Sidecar

2. Blackamoor

3. Vat 19

4. Quiet Ruckus

5. Circle in the Round

6. Miles Later

7. Having Big Fun

8. Filles de Kilimanjaro

about

After four years of regular live performances around New York, the George Schuller Quintet, formerly known as Chump Change, makes its recorded debut, documenting what AllAboutJazz.com calls their "rigorous, unpredictable approach to group improvisation." Round 'Bout Now pays tribute to Miles Davis' pre-fusion transitional period, as documented on records like Circle in the Round, Filles de Kilimanjaro, Water Babies and In a Silent Way. Included are Schuller's arrangements of Miles' "Side Car," "Circle in the Round," and "Filles de Kilimanjaro," as well as original works that use that period as a jumping off point. As in his other groups, Schuller's inclusive compositions and arrangements provide the ideal framework for the improvisational abilities of his talented collaborators.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard this?

George Schuller Round 'bout NowRBN_thumb.jpg

Round ‘Bout Now: George Schuller Quintet

[PSR#J021302]

PERSONNEL

George Schuller- drums and percussion/composer

Donny McCaslin- soprano sax, tenor sax and alto flute

Ingrid Jensen- trumpet and flugelhorn

Tom Beckham- vibes/composer

Dave Ambrosio- bass

Matt Darriau- kaval and bass clarinet (guest appearance)

Pete McCann- guitar (guest appearance)

Sonny Barbato- accordion (guest appearance)

TRACKS

1. Sidecar

2. Blackamoor

3. Vat 19

4. Quiet Ruckus

5. Circle in the Round

6. Miles Later

7. Having Big Fun

8. Filles de Kilimanjaro

about

After four years of regular live performances around New York, the George Schuller Quintet, formerly known as Chump Change, makes its recorded debut, documenting what AllAboutJazz.com calls their "rigorous, unpredictable approach to group improvisation." Round 'Bout Now pays tribute to Miles Davis' pre-fusion transitional period, as documented on records like Circle in the Round, Filles de Kilimanjaro, Water Babies and In a Silent Way. Included are Schuller's arrangements of Miles' "Side Car," "Circle in the Round," and "Filles de Kilimanjaro," as well as original works that use that period as a jumping off point. As in his other groups, Schuller's inclusive compositions and arrangements provide the ideal framework for the improvisational abilities of his talented collaborators.

This is the very best Miles hommage I ever heard. Now it's more than one year I am listening to this record. Like some of the best ones I keep listening and listening again...... Great group, wonderful dynamics; great drummer. An overlooked little masterpiece in its genre, imho

d2724516ofq.jpgg33244rb6df.jpgg62204cjij9.jpg

AMG reviews: First One, Second One (no review), Third One (crap, no review either)

that I think much of this material is every bit as good as the original, and in a few cases - even surpassing the original.

I find that a little bit difficult to believe ... I can't even listen to the Fillmore live sides or Pangaea Agartha anymore it's so intense. It blows my mind and I have to stop.

d2724516ofq.jpgg33244rb6df.jpgg62204cjij9.jpg

AMG reviews: First One, Second One (no review), Third One (crap, no review either)

that I think much of this material is every bit as good as the original, and in a few cases - even surpassing the original.

I find that a little bit difficult to believe ... I can't even listen to the Fillmore live sides or Pangaea Agartha anymore it's so intense. It blows my mind and I have to stop.

I agree . . . .To me none of these comes close to the originals. I like them, I listen to them occasionally, but they're very different from the original material. Especially, for me, the drumming is quite different and colors the entire work with a differnt brand of cheese. . . .