Ziyi Zhang

Lon, go see Wong Kar Wai's "2046". I didn't find it an equal to "In the Mood for Love", but it may still be one of the best movies to come out, recently (while "In the Mood for Love" may be one of the best, ever... my opinion, of course, but I gather that - outside of this board - I'm not alone...)

A shot from the film:

ziyi2.jpg

Another still that is from one of the best scenes of the film:

It seems like "2046" is never gonna play in these here United States. I saw a DVD of it at Amoeba, fresh from Hong Kong, and decided to buy it. Of course, I haven't watched it yet.

I did get to give Ziyi Zhang a box of popcorn personally at the Telluride Film Festival. B-) She's small and cute, and had a baseball cap on head and a sweatshirt, but didn't stand out. One day (when they showed "House of Flying Daggers") she was there with a small entourage to introduce the film. But the next day she was just there by herself to see another film, and came out to get her popcorn on her own. It seemed like no one recognized her. Prio to doing "Crouching Tiger," she said that hadn't done any martial arts type films.

I'm slightly more of a Maggie Cheung person myself. "Irma Vep" "In the Mood for Love" "Hero" "The Heroic Trio" "Green Snake" etc.

It seems like "2046" is never gonna play in these here United States. I saw a DVD of it at Amoeba, fresh from Hong Kong, and decided to buy it. Of course, I haven't watched it yet.

Just read that it's been picked up by Sony Classics for American release.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes Mark . . . those 1960 or so Captain Atom stories by Ditko were some of the first comic books I smuggled in to my house at age five and six, and got me started on comics (when Stan Lee started changing the world in 1962 and 1963 with his comics I was an addict. . . still clandestinely because I WAS NOT ALLOWED COMICS til a few years later).

Ditko just had this thing up through about 1966 . . . he was a master.

I just purchased off ebay "Action Heroes Archives Volume One"--a DC hardback that reprints all the Captain Atom from 1960-1 and most of the 1966 return of the character. . . all Ditko on glossy paper.